Chris 69

Hi Chris!

You definitely have some colonial coral - you can clearly see the radiating septa - beautiful!

Where was it collected?  It might help others narrow down the identification of your specimen...

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Monica

It looks to be an unglaciated Petoskey stone, a fossil colonial rugose coral of the species Hexagonaria percarinata. It is in really good condition.

At least it is likely to be in the genus Hexagonaria, I'm pretty sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonaria

If the coral is indeed Hexagonaria, then the place you are looking is from the Devonian period (about 400 million years old) and at that time Illinois was an ocean. You should look for more than just this coral, because you are likely to find a lot of other interesting things.

Looking on Google for "Devonian fossils Illinois" brings up a lot of good stuff...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Devonian+fossil+illinois&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

Most the the Hexagonaria I've seen are the ones that have been picked up and moved over long distances by the glaciers and they are very rounded. This one you have is very fresh, so it is likely that you found it where it was grwoing 400 million years ago. that also means you aren't in an area of glacial debris, but are at a Devonian formation.

That means good fossil hunting.

This is a common Mississippian coral from the Midwest states: Lithostrotionella (=Acrocyathus)

Here is a good paper:

Sando, W.J. (1983)
Revision of Lithostrotionella (Coelenterata, Rugosa) from the Carboniferous and Permian.
United States Geological Survey Professional Paper, 1247:1-52

PDF LINK

IMG LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I agree with Lithostrotionella sp. :)

Neat find - thanks for sharing it here.  

Regards, 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I retract Hexagonaria and vote for the Lithostrotionella.

That solves the mystery of the "perfect" Petoskey stone. They normally are not in that crisp condition.

13 hours ago, tmaier said:

If the coral is indeed Hexagonaria, then the place you are looking is from the Devonian period (about 400 million years old) and at that time Illinois was an ocean. You should look for more than just this coral, because you are likely to find a lot of other interesting things.

Looking on Google for "Devonian fossils Illinois" brings up a lot of good stuff...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Devonian+fossil+illinois&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

Most the the Hexagonaria I've seen are the ones that have been picked up and moved over long distances by the glaciers and they are very rounded. This one you have is very fresh, so it is likely that you found it where it was grwoing 400 million years ago. that also means you aren't in an area of glacial debris, but are at a Devonian formation.

That means good fossil hunting.

Yes, like trilobites.

Or cephalopods.

For example.

And, i love your coral.

And, it's really nice.

And, welcome from France.

And,... a coffee with cream please.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Cool coral. I'd definitely be back out there hunting that area to see what else it gives up.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived