Sulphur River hunt 12-10-16

Jakuzi

Hi y'all.  First time poster.  Just wanted to share my finds from today on the Sulphur River.  Also I had some ID questions and was wondering what a guy has to do to find some vert out there.

IMG_4578.JPG

My ID questions are pretty much the entire top row except the second from the left.  I'm pretty sure that's a squashed vert.  The top last on the right is some type of tooth that I think may not be a fossil.

Welcome!  Nice finds for a river that seriously needs a good rinsing.  Can you take a couple of photos from different views on the unknown tooth?  In regards to the verts, a few of us are waiting on a good rainfall to clean everything up and wash some new stuff out.  Speaking of...how did the river bed look?  Are the gravel beds still covered with all the silt?

Nice haul Jakuzi. I’d guess deer for the mammal tooth, although it could a small camelid. Just curious, is the center Squali a pristodontus? Can’t tell if the anterior edge of the blade is as straight as it appears or if that’s shadow. Nice piece of flint too. Is it worked on the other side?

@David E. my buddy and I were hunting on the bars off the 24 bridge.   There didn't appear to be to much silt.  Much of the edges were still damp so it may have gotten a little wash from recent rains.  This is our third time out there and we have yet to find any large vert.  Wast sure if we were looking in the wrong area's or something.   I'll get some more pics of the tooth up later and of my buddy's finds.

@FossilGuy1024  I'll put up another pic of the squali for you to take a look. I'm pretty new to all this.  The flint isn't worked on the other side.  I debated keeping it as I thought it may just appear to have been worked.  My buddy insisted it had been and was a keeper.

The NSR is a great place to cut your fossil hunting teeth on. I can’t imagine that even the accessible areas of the river could ever be totally hunted out. Although at this point in the year the big stuff like mosasaur verts may be hard to come by until after a good flooding. Correction on my comment about the possible S. pristodontus, I meant the posterior edge of the blade (or left side as you’re looking at the pic). The 3 pieces to the left of the mammal tooth look like concretions to me and then a piece of bone (?) to the left of those. As far as the flint goes; this material is not found locally (Edwards Plateau flint?) and was brought in from far away which for me is an exciting testament to the trade networks Native Americans had. That alone makes it worth keeping. Besides, it does look like a possible scrapper to me. I'll be watching for your  follow up pic of the Squali.

Cheers

Yeah the verts are hard to come by these days.  Due to the lack of rain/rise, I've only been out there twice in the last 4-5 months.  Once it gets a good rise/cleaning, there should be some good verts for the taking. 

Thanks for posting the additional pics! Yep, that looks like S. pristodontus to me. They’re less common than S. kaupi so that’s pretty cool. As for the mammal tooth I’m afraid it may be recent (cow) but you never know. Without the benefit of obvious signs of being old, i.e., discoloration or attached matrix, I have a hard time differentiating between bison and cow teeth. Definitely not camel since the cones are present (see my pic below).

Cheers

response.jpg

Cool Native American artifact on the bottom left. Welcome to TFF. I hunt NSR a lot. Be sure to check out my NSR gallery.

8 hours ago, David E. said:

Yeah the verts are hard to come by these days.  Due to the lack of rain/rise, I've only been out there twice in the last 4-5 months.  Once it gets a good rise/cleaning, there should be some good verts for the taking. 

How much rain does the river need to get for it to flood?   I was hoping with the rain last week it might be enough.

In case you don't already have it, you can use the link below to keep tabs on the water level.  About a year ago, I was told the river needed a good 6 ft. rise to clean it up and wash out some points.  That may hold true for verts but I can't say guarantee anything.  I can however guarantee that if it gets anywhere near a 6 ft level, I'll be packing the car up and headed that way. :) 

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=FWD&gage=CPPT2

17 hours ago, David E. said:

In case you don't already have it, you can use the link below to keep tabs on the water level.  About a year ago, I was told the river needed a good 6 ft. rise to clean it up and wash out some points.  That may hold true for verts but I can't say guarantee anything.  I can however guarantee that if it gets anywhere near a 6 ft level, I'll be packing the car up and headed that way. :) 

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=FWD&gage=CPPT2

Right on.  Thanks

Archived