A large display of fossils for adoption.

fossilcrazy

I address this to my fellow Fossil Forum members. For years, I have been looking for a venue to showcase my private fossil collection. I was hoping a college, school, shop, science and art institution or whoever would have interest in exhibiting a long term display of fossils. I am not asking for compensation, merely looking of a year or two of exposure. I am not interested in short term loans; I need over 6 months duration. The display will have 12 Cincinnati style cases, custom built to be high end quality. The displays will be stand alone and self explanatory in nature. The display themes can be according to Geological age, Taxon groups, Fossil localities or however would appeal most to the public.  It is such a shame that the cabinets and fossils sit in storage where I, nor anyone else ever gets to see them. The size requirement would be to accommodate the displays at eye level and hold the 12 cases which are 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot. 8 standard size rectangular folding tables can hold all 12 cases. See the pictures below. My end would be to deliver the cases and specimens, set up the displays according to theme, take down the display after an agreed time interval. Transportation would be by 26 foot trailer pulled by a full size truck. I live in Western New York and I am not interested in traveling to the west coast, as the expenses would be very prohibitive. Insurance for the loan will need to be negotiated.  If there is any interest, PM me. If anyone has ideas, I look forward to your replies.   

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

Holy smokes Batman!  Wow.  Just plain wow!

You have a collection that rivals some modest museums and institutions. I have a fossil friend who works at Cornell University. I could inquire about this for you if want. That isn't too far from where you are located. I also have friends at Penn State. Let me know and I will shoot them an email.

:)

Well Bone Daddy, that's sounds good to me. Close to home is good. If you would do that; it would be appreciated. I can PM my e-address if it is needed. 

I'm interested in the design/plans for those cases. We have some old folding cases that our local gem and mineral society loan us for our show but they are getting to look a bit beat. I've never heard the term "Cincinnati Style" case. I get the impression these possibly fold down for transport as well. 

I have been thinking about designing new cases for myself and the club but no reason to reinvent the wheel if these work well. Our current ones do the job but they are a pain to assemble and not very attractive.

So is there a set of plans, diagrams or whatever I could snag?

Would be appreciated,

Erich

Hi erose,

The Cincinnati case was designed by a Cincinnati club back in the 80's as collapsible display cases. I will have to hunt the plans.  

On 12/11/2016 at 3:54 PM, fossilcrazy said:

Well Bone Daddy, that's sounds good to me. Close to home is good. If you would do that; it would be appreciated. I can PM my e-address if it is needed. 

I asked my friends at Cornell and I am waiting to hear back from them.  I'll let you know when I do. :)

On 12 December, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Bone Daddy said:

Holy smokes Batman!  Wow.  Just plain wow!

You have a collection that rivals some modest museums and institutions. I have a fossil friend who works at Cornell University. I could inquire about this for you if want. That isn't too far from where you are located. I also have friends at Penn State. Let me know and I will shoot them an email.

:)

Yes. paleoWOW!

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

You are both a scholar and a gentlemean... I figure I need about another 100 years to amass a fraction of your collection.......

I hope eventually it can be displayed where people will be able to see it......

Hope to meet up again in the spring. We are in the middle of a blizzard here the last few days. Collecting for the time being is definately on hold.....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:34 AM, fossilcrazy said:

The Cincinnati case was designed by a Cincinnati club back in the 80's as collapsible display cases. I will have to hunt the plans.

After a little research (Cincinnati box + fossils,/search pictures) , I have seen other pictures with these boxes on: drydregers.com , probably this club.

if plans are available, like Erose,  I would be interested.  (without obligation of success!!!) Thank you.

Marguy

The Dry Dredgers are a club in Cincinnati. I haven't found the plans, I may need to redraft from my cases.

• 4 weeks later...

I am inquiring wether you are still searching for a place to display your fossils. The Most Museum in Syracuse may be interested. That is close to home as well.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived