PRK

share with us, a PHOTO of your favorite fossil in your collection

not even necessarily your best, definitely your favorite

My first one is that Goniolina hexagona on a gastropod shell. It's a kimmeridgian algae, it is about 1 cm of width.

P2091631.JPG

With probably a phoronid on the other side

P3231932.JPG

My second one is that kimmeridgian coral :

IMG_0203.JPGP9200198.JPG

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

2 hours ago, PRK said:

share with us, a PHOTO of your favorite fossil in your collection

not even necessarily your best, definitely your favorite

Ok PRK now how do you start a topic about sharing photos of our favorite fossils, without first sharing a photo of your favorite fossil?:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

My first one is that Goniolina hexagona on a gastropod shell. It's a kimmeridgian algae, it is about 1 cm of width.

P2091631.JPG

With probably a phoronid on the other side

P3231932.JPG

My second one is that kimmeridgian coral :

IMG_0203.JPGP9200198.JPG

I love the honeycomb pattern in the first pic.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

8 minutes ago, darctooth said:

I love the honeycomb pattern in the first pic.

Thanks darctooth.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This is an easy post for me to respond too. About 30 years ago I became interested in fossils and did not know that the famous Mazon Creek area was only about 60 miles from my home. After meeting a person who later became my fossil mentor, he gave me directions to Pit 11. My wife and I drove to the area as instructed, and ended up on road W5000N which is near the famed "Tipple" area of Pit 11. Not really knowing what to look for, I walked along the road and found the below fossil, opened & embedded in a mound. It was my first fossil ever found and to this date, I have never found a fossil in that general area again, nor have I ever found a multi frond fern of any type in the Pit 11 area. Though this fossil is not sexy, it began my love of fossils.

IMG_9359.JPG

1 hour ago, PRK said:

I have none dctooth. How bout you?

As soon as I have a minute to take some pics I will post. I am tied up at the moment.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

My favorite fossil also comes with a story. A few years ago I did one of my usual 6 hour night drives from Syracuse to Brownies beach in Maryland. What made this trip unusual, is that when I arrived in town about 2:30 am, high tide had pushed water from the channel in the marina, halfway in the hotel parking lot. For those of you who now what I'm talking about, its kinda a big deal. I had never seen the water that high. I didn't know what was goingto happen in thenext couple hours before sunrise and I was afraid my trip would be ruined by such a high tide. But I slept in the car till about 5 and woke up to a miracle. The water had dropped to normal levels! I raced to the beach to find myself the first one there. Now I want to point out that I have been the first one to the beach on many occasions. Not many of those occasions resulted inme finding lots of goodies lying on the sand waiting for me to pick up. But this day was different. I didn't go very far along the cliffs when I came across a nice stretch of beach and to my suprise I found 2 small megs and abunch of makos all in about a 20 foot stretch. Here are the better one of that hunt.

20161212_211820.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

My favorite fossil from this trip was the mako in the top of the pic. What makes this special for me is that this is the only mako I have ever found with cusps. They are very tiny but definitely there. Actually one side has double cusps. I hope I can get a good enough pic for you guys to see.

20161212_211023.jpg

20161212_211327.jpg

20161212_211339.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

One of my favorites:

A beautifull Megalodon shark tooth that I found in Portugal.

In a lucky day this tooth are exactly in this little block... After that I only make a little preparation near the tooth.

The way I found:

WP_20160103_18_11_14_Pro.jpg

After the preparation:

Preparação 9 maio.jpgIMG-20160510-WA0005.jpgF001.jpg

My favourites are probably these two.

This partial Prognathodon sp. dentary with a story. For the full story, here's a link http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56677-mosasaur-jaw-prepping-adventure/#comment-602986

Prognathodon_sp_02_small.jpg

And then there's my ongoing project of putting together a composite woolly rhino skeleton. All the bones are from the North Sea. Only the skull is a replica. This photo is a little older, I do also have one of the shoulder blades now. Currently I have almost 90 bones.

P1300374.JPG

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I don't really have an extensive fossil collection as I only keep a few things to remember each trip and tend to give away the rest. This is probably my largest and most impressive find taken back in May of 2015 on a trip with John (Sacha) to the Peace River. I recounted that trip last year on this forum and even managed to win a VFOTM for this find. It remains the largest and probably most impressive find in my collection. I'd found tiny chips and even some larger chunks containing multiple enamel plates but this was my first (do date) complete Columbian Mammoth (Mammuthus columbi) molar. My "favorite" fossil is the next one that I find but this one was a real hoot!

Cheers.

-Ken

P5190007.jpg    P5200017.jpg

It's definitely my Rex!

3.25 incher in a straight line, from Garfield County of Montana. This fella cost me an arm and a leg, and put me outta fossil purchasing for a good many months. It came with its own set of headaches too, including a highly suspect seller, a shipping that nearly went wrong, a piece of root that fell out on delivery, a fear(later proven false) that the tooth is faked etc.

Well after a year and speaking to multiple paleontologists, including Pete Larson who handled this personally years ago, this tooth is without a doubt real, and my proudest fossil to date.

Rex_10.jpg

Rex_2d.jpg

Rex_1d.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived