Oklahoma Trilobites - Theisen Quarry

trilobyter

We're going to Cascade, ID where my sister-in-law has a cabin rented for three days leading up to the eclipse (Aug 18-21). We're planning on arriving early (actually in Spokane, WA) where we will head east to go hunt for fossil leaves in Clarkia and some star garnets nearby. We have several days of rockhounding and fossil hunting planned in Idaho thanks to my Rockhounding Idaho book. Still nailing down the details of that trip but we plan on spending lots of time in the field hunting for things surrounding the astronomical event in the middle of our trip. Should be an epic trip--truly looking forward to spending some time out in the back country of Idaho. Any tips on places not to miss would (as always) be appreciated.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 7/14/2017 at 7:53 PM, digit said:

We're going to Cascade, ID where my sister-in-law has a cabin rented for three days leading up to the eclipse (Aug 18-21). We're planning on arriving early (actually in Spokane, WA) where we will head east to go hunt for fossil leaves in Clarkia and some star garnets nearby. We have several days of rockhounding and fossil hunting planned in Idaho thanks to my Rockhounding Idaho book. Still nailing down the details of that trip but we plan on spending lots of time in the field hunting for things surrounding the astronomical event in the middle of our trip. Should be an epic trip--truly looking forward to spending some time out in the back country of Idaho. Any tips on places not to miss would (as always) be appreciated.

Cheers.

-Ken

@digit Well Craters of the Moon is really neat. I haven't done much fossiling in Idaho but it is the gem state and is full of garnets. IM me some details and I might be able to bring a tent and tag along. :-)

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Yes, indeed--star (asterated) garnets are high on the list of prizes we hope to hunt for while in Idaho. There is a location not far from the Clarkia Fossil Bowl (Miocene leaf fossils) and we plan on visiting both locations early on in the trip.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived