Goldkaiser

So recently I got to go back to the Isle of Wight for a few days and not be bound to an area of study. Since this was more of a break I choose different areas I hadn't been fortunate to visit yet. I found numerous finds of which a few I'm unsure about. If anyone could assist that would be great. All finds are from the Wealden Group this is a early Cretaceous era deposit.

1) This was from yaverland and pulled directly from the cliff face where only the small section was exposed. It is about 5cm long and 3 Cm wide at its widest. It appears to resemble the shape of bone and in some places a porous structure can be seen. It has a shiny metallic appearance and my first though was that it may not be a fossils but not entirely sure.IMG_4960.JPGIMG_4961.JPG

2) The second also comes from Yaverland and is from the Vectis formation of the Wealden and comes from the Shell beds. It is a Shark tooth which is approximately 2cm long and 1 cm wide. Looking at the Literature I was wandering if it could belong to the Family of Polyacrodontidae. Two species are found here P.Parvidens And P.Brevicostatus.  (I have more pictures if required but can't upload as they are too big apparently) 

IMG_4987.PNGIMG_4988.PNG

IMG_4982.JPG

3) This item was found at Brook bay with some of the Dinosaur footprints and rolled pieces of bone. I believe it to be a rolled bit of Crocodile Scute from the Cretaceous but am not sure if you can ID from small section like this as of now Crocodyiloform.

IMG_4989.PNG

IMG_4990.PNG

4) Also from Yaverland and from the same location as the Shark tooth but a lower horizon with no shell material. This item was carbonized but upon finding it quickly disintegrated leaving a marking of itself. My guess would be some kind of Fossil seed or fruit.IMG_4983.JPGIMG_4984.JPG

5) These are from Whales chine and fell from a higher level then visible at cliff base. They are from the lower Greensand formation and my guess would be a form of Cheloniceras. image.jpgimage.jpg

6) This specimen was found in the Vectis formation of Yaverland and was in the same bed and horizon as the shark tooth. It quite small no larger than half a CM. It looks similar to some of the lizard teeth in the Wealden book but I'm thinking it may be a fish tooth. IMG_4925.JPGIMG_4928.JPG

I cant help you to determine them ... but your finds are great !

I love the various teeth !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

38 minutes ago, belemniten said:

I cant help you to determine them ... but your finds are great !

I love the various teeth !

Many thanks for your kind words Belemniten. I've found a significant amount of teeth from the Isle of Wight in all kinds of shape and sizes but no dinosaur yet :/ still theirs always next year :) 

Looking at the general shape of your 1st hybodontid selachian tooth,  I would rather say that it belongs to an Acrodus. 

Nice micro fossils from the Isle of Wight 

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yarvaland?  Do you mean Yaverland?  

Yes I do :/ ops 

11 minutes ago, gms said:

Looking at the general shape of your 1st hybodontid selachian tooth,  I would rather say that it belongs to an Acrodus. 

Nice micro fossils from the Isle of Wight 

Interesting I'll have a look in the book of Wealden fossils and see what I can see about Acrodus. Thanks you for your input and your kind words :) 

• 2 months later...

So I've returned to the island again and this time visited Compton bay, the area is Cretaceous in age and comprised of the Wessex fm. After finding many small bits of bone and looking at the amazing dinosaur foot casts we came

across these two pieces on the foreshore. The first is long and thin and contains indentation which appear to be sockets?. I was wandering if it was possibly a little bit of weathered jaw?IMG_5127.thumb.JPG.47216e79887676fb8c6deb1f9990d01c.JPGIMG_5128.thumb.JPG.c9abc4485e649a668fb1c03438d423a2.JPG

The second peice also appears to be more recent out of the cliffs it's a bit of bone but what part I'm unsure of and have no idea what it may have come from I was originally thinking it may be part of a vertebra but have since changed my mindIMG_5135.thumb.JPG.4961b6691333c011e3f0a7a2b1bb27a4.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, Goldkaiser said:

3) This item was found at Brook bay with some of the Dinosaur footprints and rolled pieces of bone. I believe it to be a rolled bit of Crocodile Scute from the Cretaceous but am not sure if you can ID from small section like this as of now Crocodyiloform.

IMG_4989.PNG

IMG_4990.PNG

I agree, I believe that this item is a crocodile scute as well.  I can't help with your other items thought, hope you are able to find what you are looking for!