FossilDudeCO

Prep was just finished on this lovely panel.

All three fish are 100% natural. NO INLAY! NO PAINT!

Wonderful panel with three fish.

Notongoneous (long skinny guy)

Diplomystus (big fat one)

Priscacara (spiny one)

This panel measures 34 inches tall x 45 inches wide.

noto panel.jpg

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

NIce one, Blake.  Did I ever mention... I hate inlays and paint.  

Thanks JP!

I CAN live with inlays, but I DESPISE paint.

For the inlays I won't cut out a perfect fish to put it in another rock, but if it is broken or on the weathered edge, sometimes it needs to be done to preserve the fossil. 

There is ZERO excuse for paint, I DON'T CARE WHAT EXCUSE YOU WANT TO USE! 

*EDIT*

zero excuse for paint on Green River Fish ;)

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Starting the bids at $10.  Lol! That's a great looking piece Blake. Good show!

Thanks much :)

I'd post it up for the Forum, but I have bills too and the wife is contemplating feeding me to the fishes!

12 minutes ago, sseth said:

Beautiful work.  Is this one from this summer?

Actually this panel was pulled out last summer, but just got prepped this month!

That's kinda small for a NotongoneousI I think you should throw him back........ to SC.

Actually, is it 18" or so? It is my understanding that anything smaller than that is a very rare find.

That's a very nice plate with a great representation of less common critters. Well done.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Actually, is it 18" or so? It is my understanding that anything smaller than that is a very rare find.

That's a very nice plate with a great representation of less common critters. Well done.

That noto is just shy of 21"

The diplo is about 14"

The prisky is just shy of 6"

This is a big panel! Will take 2 people to mount it 

Notos under I would say 15 or 16" are EXTREMELY uncommon.

Why are Notogoneous rare to find under 15"? Normally, it's rarer to find big specimens of creatures. :headscratch:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

26 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Why are Notogoneous rare to find under 15"? Normally, it's rarer to find big specimens of creatures. :headscratch:

The thought is that notogoneus laid their eggs in a small pond or stream that was either a) seasonally detached or b ) further from the fossil lake and thus the young fish never made it into the lake with the larger predators.

You don't find many young fish in the 18 inch layer. Most of them are larger mature fish.

To my knowledge notogoneus is a species *only* found in the 18 inch layer.

That is one dang nice rock!   When I first saw it the light and shadow was playing tricks on me and I thought you had 'pedistaled' the fish.   Almost had a heart attack.  Then it became clear.  But that is one heck of a nice slab o fish Blake. 

RB

Nice job on that Blake. If only I had the room for it on my wall (it's practically a wall in itself!)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

perhaps you could just replace your wall with it!

this could be designed as load bearing im sure!

Archived