Innocentx

This is from the Wabaunsee Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Late [Virgilian])
Includes: Wood Siding FM, Root Shale, Stotler Limestone (base ST), Pillsbury Shale, Zeandale Limestone (base Z), Willard Shale, Emporia Limestone (base E), Auburn Shale, Bern Limestone (base BR), Scranton Shale, Howard Limestone (base H), and Severy Shale.

Found these unknown objects attached to the interior of a myalina clam shell. This is a marine environment but I'm not sure which layer of the Wabaunsee Group this is from. I've never seen this before so would appreciate any help with ID.

I'd be happy to furnish more photos of layer and fossil.

Thanks

newmore.jpg

new.jpg

003.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

worm tubes

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Herb, they seem rather elaborate for worm tubes. Can you post photo of similar, please?

Also, I have never seen worm burrows that were laid down on the surface of a shell.

Edited by Innocentx

I see Spreiten there connected with, also, U shaped crosslines. Looks similar to Rhizocorallium .

• I found this Informative 6

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You are welcome!
Nice photos. Thanks for posting them here.
BTW, welcome to the Forum! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

+1 more for trace-fossil. Spreitenbau (following SEILACHER) and Rhizocorallium seems to be fine in an first attempt. Maybe special name for this formation and location.

Nice find ! Never seen this on a shell, too....

thanks for the enlightenment Abyssunder! I thought these were much bigger traces and took the ones attached to the shells in the pics as worm tubes.

Certainly looks like Rhizocorallium however I have never seen one attached to shell like that. It would be good to see the other side of the shell to see if it has been bored through. Really nice find!

Thanks to all, and I do feel welcome here.

The location, surface of the shell, had thrown me off.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a trace fossil. I have a large one I posted on here along time ago so...I'm for trace fossil too

• 4 months later...

Accidentally I've found these little ones in my research for other goodies. The resemblance would be excellent although the geological time is fairly different, but I think that couldn't be a problem. They look appropriate to the specimens in question. Take a look here .

boreas_2012_223.thumb.jpg.6c9e86985d4ba639df480ac7e69af427.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

Oh. that is so cool and so small.  Yes, different time period but life repeats forms down through time which is an amazing feature!

Thanks

I totally agree with you, especially after I checked the possibility of  'Caulostrepsis in Myalina shell'. And bingo! - A. Seilacher. 1969. Paleoecology of Boring Barnacles. Am. Zoologist, 9: 705-719.

Once again the eminent Seilacher... :)

592b6343b389d_Plate1.thumb.jpg.e3496d52405ce84497ad030544b290db.jpg592b633cdf683_Plate1_text.thumb.jpg.e4c42e7cd39d32dccd8f020a56a352a5.jpg

I think you have a good ID. :fistbump:

Thomas Mann

My Library

I appreciate your renewed interest in this fossil.  Because of this I've done more research and learned more. Even though the internet is an unparalleled resource, there often remain questions. The forensic aspects of paleontology, the mystery to be solved, is what maintains interest.
The ichnofacies are complicated subject.  Of many theories, one says they are independant of geological time periods, and are indicators of conditions. Mostly what I know is I enjoy seeing them, wondering about creature that did them, so I'm easily amused by all the fossils I find.
I will have to get my better magnifyer out and check for small marks on the drilled holes.

Thanks, Abyssunder.

mouth parts modern polychaete.jpg

mouth parts modern polychaete