Dec14th Peace River

Shellseeker

About to travel for the holidays and need to pack.  Just a few minutes for this post. Out today, hunting the Peace River. What a GORGEOUS !!! day.  Sun shining, warm water, out in nature.

None of those fantastic finds this day, bit even an average day on the Peace is pretty good.  Lots of small shark teeth, many of them broken,  a couple of turtle spurs, glyptodont osteoderms, puffer fish mouth plates all with quality issues. 

IMG_1460a.jpg

And then these..

.Thresher.jpgIMG_1468.JPGDilloOsteoderm.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Always good to find something though!

Thanks for sharing :)

Not too bad considering winter is upon me and I haven't been able to dig in 2 months!

Good to see somebody got out to hunt. Nice finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I’m thoroughly jealous. I was stuck inside all day :(  Thanks for sharing. Any chance the osteoderm at the center of the bottom row could be pampathere?

I only mention it because I have found something similar in Port Royal, SC and in Summerville.  I was circling around a Thresher shark as an ID.  (or a possibly from a shark formerly known as 'mako')

01_PortRoyal_SC_Thresher_1116.jpg

I am jealous. The weather was gorgeous today and I was stuck at home working.  I am dying to get back out there and get muddy soon.

Even if you didn't find anything big or spectacular, a day spent getting muddy in the Peace is better than a day doing most other things. :)

Very nice Jack, I have yet to see one of those come out of my sifter:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great finds !

WIsh you a nice holiday :)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

14 hours ago, FossilGuy1024 said:

Any chance the osteoderm at the center of the bottom row could be pampathere?

Likely. By pamathere we generally find Holmesina (both H. floridanus and H. septentrionalis) in Florida. Next to it is a rosette from a Glyptotherium which is right next to the deer antler base.

Nice Alopias, Jack. I need to take a look at my short stubby teeth that I might have assumed were juvenile megs and double check them for serrations. I might have one of those hiding in my jar of teeth or I may just be dreaming.

Looking to get out this Saturday and it looks like the weather and water level will be near optimal.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

51 minutes ago, digit said:

Likely. By pamathere we generally find Holmesina (both H. floridanus and H. septentrionalis) in Florida. Next to it is a rosette from a Glyptotherium which is right next to the deer antler base.

Nice Alopias, Jack. I need to take a look at my short stubby teeth that I might have assumed were juvenile megs and double check them for serrations. I might have one of those hiding in my jar of teeth or I may just be dreaming......

Flight delayed , sitting in an airport so enough time to respond. Thanks to all on the good comments and I can wish a trip on the Peace River in your future. 

On the Thresher shark, these are rare in the Peace River, maybe one in five thousand found plus as Jeff and ken note many are never identified because they look like. A small meg without serrations or pathological bull, dusky, lemon, tiger. I was pleased to find one. I have only heard of 3 giant Thresher teeth from the Peace and have only seen one. A friend found a 1.47 inch Thresher with serrations. Gorgeous! I do not know why present but so rare.

on the Osteoderm, it is the only one of this shape ands size that I have seem I am thinking a tail Osteoderm from one of the armadillos.

good memories of yesterday while I head for snow and ice today Great way to spend Christmas with family, friends Happy Holidays Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thresher sharks are primarily open water pelagics and so that may be why teeth from these deepwater sharks are not usually found in the Peace River which was likely a shallow marine habitat.

Travel well, Jack.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds Jack--especially the shark tooth. You guys are making me want to go look at the piles of stuff in the garage again that I thought I had gone thru carefully. STOP it---just kidding! Enjoyed seeing all the new stuff from you all. Learning something new everyday. 

Regards, Chris