Mastodon and Turtle - Internet sale

Vieira

I found these 2 jewelry for sale in internet.

These two pieces are described like very rare and with a high price (around a thousand dollars for piece)

A Mastodon molar:

il_570xN_781519945_s6qu.jpg il_570xN_794973733_a64p.jpgil_570xN_794973831_98w2.jpg

Rare turtle Shell:

il_570xN_860875122_m7r4.jpgil_570xN_860873182_7xej.jpg

The mastodon molar looks suspect to me. It seems to lack any detail.

And that alleged turtle shell is definitely just a random rock. No detail at all, just geology.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If someone is going to buy these items, he has too much money to spend and too little knowledge.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

"There's a sucker born every minute.  - P.T. Barnum. 

" A fool and his money are soon parted. " Old saying.

:(

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

For me it's strange because this pieces are in a respectable site.

The site have very sellers and like this case, are some less reliable...

This is quite sad.:( I find it hard to believe someone is actually trying to pull this scam!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I disagree.

I have NEVER seen a Mastodon molar or turtle shell that looks like either of these. EVER.

So they MUST be SUPER RARE and well worth any price.

all jokes aside.

That first one of the "Mastodon Molar" actually looks like it has a cap and roots haha!

7 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I disagree.

I have NEVER seen a Mastodon molar or turtle shell that looks like either of these. EVER.

So they MUST be SUPER RARE and well worth any price.

all jokes aside.

That first one of the "Mastodon Molar" actually looks like it has a cap and roots haha!

AHAHAHAH! :ighappy:

They have more interesting items for sale.

A bitten piece of flesh from a marine mammal with blood and blood vessels is $150.

il_570xN.727775063_pmu9.jpg

An amphibian footprint is only $254.

il_570xN.963993976_h4he.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have yet to purchase any fossil, being quite new I find the excitement is in finding it myself, getting it home, cleaning it, trying to get my head around how I can prep it to look it's best & display it, Then the hours of books & Google to try and find out exactly what the heck it actually is, how old etc. One day I may buy some nice fossils for my collection, but why spend £1000 on a fossil from somewhere nice when I can probably fly there and spend a week on a nice beach looking myself for about the same cost?

If a buyer was to actually "shop around" on internet sites they would be able to see a plethora of much better examples of these items for much less moola. Always best to do a bit of window shopping before taking the plunge on a purchase unless you are for sure in the know and realize it is a good deal.  If I was to buy something like that for a $1000., that tooth better be in pristine condition.

There is a lot of this in the mineral and meteorite worlds also.

I have zero tolerance for scammers. The sellers should be reported to the site. In this case, if the site owners are not ethical enough to take down scams that are obviously bogus, then the entire site loses credibility. No excuse for that. Shame on them. I would not touch anything on that website with a 10 foot pole.

4 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

What a pile of junk; all of it.

No it is not junk! Jonk has some value, ths stuff does not.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the internet. There's lots of room for attempted deception and fraud. Fake news, etc. By the time the perpetrators are exposed, the damage has already been done in many cases. Only you yourself can determine the truth, so stay awake. Most big sites are more interested in making a lot of money than they are in chasing down the truth.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Welcome to the internet. There's lots of room for attempted deception and fraud. Fake news, etc. By the time the perpetrators are exposed, the damage has already been done in many cases. Only you yourself can determine the truth, so stay awake. Most big sites are more interested in making a lot of money than they are in chasing down the truth.

Sad, but true....

17 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

They have more interesting items for sale.

A bitten piece of flesh from a marine mammal with blood and blood vessels is $150.

il_570xN.727775063_pmu9.jpg

An amphibian footprint is only $254.

il_570xN.963993976_h4he.jpg

Nice work research :)

You found the seller and more treasures.

Archived