Nsr Find (upper Cretaceous)

Mike Owens

The bone is 2" W X 8" L. There is some limestone matrix still attached to it. To me it "looks like" a very large piece of rib, i.e. small Mosasaur, large fish(?). That is strictly speculation on my part. I hope one of our more learned members can properly identify it. I'm posting several photos of different views. This should be helpful in getting a better idea of what it would look like in person. All comments, swags & professional opinions welcomed. B)

Mike

Will have to made additional posts as I can only get 3 photos per post.

post-15-1244920736_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244920764_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244920786_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

i don't know what it would be from if not from a mosasaur. fairly sure it can't be from a bony fish.

More photos.

post-15-1244922970_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244922990_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244923012_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244923046_thumb.jpg

These two show what I believe to be predation marks.

post-15-1244923129_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244923171_thumb.jpg

Last ones.

post-15-1244923452_thumb.jpg

post-15-1244923470_thumb.jpg

Mr. Owens,

I await the day when I can actually be of assistance to you, but am constantly reminded that, if you don't know what something is, I surely don't. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think you are right about the predation marks. As to the bone. I have to agree with Auspex. I find Mos bones here in NC, but there are differences in preservation that I am not familiar with.

Be true to the reality you create.

Mr. Owens,

I await the day when I can actually be of assistance to you, but am constantly reminded that, if you don't know what something is, I surely don't. :)

Whose this M.R. Owens? Can't find his post. Did it get deleted? I'd sure like to meet this genius. Maybe he might be kind enough to come by & ID this boat-load of unidentified fossils in my shed. :P

"MIKE"

:rolleyes:

I think you are right about the predation marks. As to the bone. I have to agree with Auspex. I find Mos bones here in NC, but there are differences in preservation that I am not familiar with.

You are correct, different minerals give a different "look" to the same fossil. Could you post some photos of mosasaur bones from your area? It would be nice to see the difference. If you have a vertebra, I'll see if I have a similar one to compare it with.