B-Grade Crab Prep

RJB

I started this crab awhile ago.  This crab concretion was in many pieces but I glued it back together only cause is looked like a decent crab.  Its a B-Grade crab but its coming along quite nicely.  You can see the bigger concretion in the first photo and how it looks.  then in the 2nd pic you can see how it looks after about 6 more hours of prep.  I still have about 2 hours to do to finish it up.  I still have a bit of clean up, some more 3-d'ing and then the fossil sauce.  After that it should look purty dang good even though it has problems up the ying yang!  I should have it finished and a final posting of it in about 3 days.  Weve got some serious cold weather coming our way and Im not sure if I will be out in the garage during that?  But this will show anyone how you can take a 'not so good crab' and make it look purty dang good.

Crab004A.JPG

Crab004B.JPG

My standards must be extremely low because that looks great to me, far surpassing my prepping abilities.

It's interesting how we tend to become jaded as collectors. :P My good friend accuses me (and himself) of being fossil snobs. We have collected so many shark teeth over the years that we won't even condescend to pick up a tooth that isn't perfect any more!

RJB that crab is so poor I am surprised you have continued to prep it....

Being a martyr I will gladly take it off you hand so you don't have to look at it anymore :P

But seriously that is one nice piece.... Well done, AGAIN!

Some funny guys here.   This is simply one of those crabs that I know I can turn into gas moneys and help pay for a trip.  Once they get a bit 'worse' than this, then I sell them off for very cheap.  Im always hoping to get that 'perfect' crab, but after 20 some years, im still trying.  didn't think it was going to be this hard or take this long?   But it keeps me out of the bars and out of trouble.  :)

RB

Oh gees, more crocodile tears over those less than perfect crabs.....boo hoo hoo.....ha ha.  Ok Ron show us the best crab you have in your massive collection of crabbies.  As I'm fond of saying "they were dead at the time"  and nobody looks good when dead...ha ha.

Hey, have your heard anything from Jason B.

Ok, it was -22 this morning, but I was smart enough to leave my little heater on in the garage last night.  It was still a bit chilly but I got this thing finished.   Lots and lots of problems for this one but it came out purty good. 

RB

DSCN0772.JPG

I hope that was a wind chill, Ron.  :o 

The temperature dropped about 35 degrees (and falling) over the last couple hours...but we got up to 80 degrees today.  :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I hope that was a wind chill, Ron.  :o 

The temperature dropped about 35 degrees (and falling) over the last couple hours...but we got up to 80 degrees today.  :P

Not as bad as Ron's -22, but we were at -6 this morning!

26 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Not as bad as Ron's -22, but we were at -6 this morning!

Gads...so the wind chill in the 'teens outside my door, would cause you to shed the coat and break out the short sleeves.  :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 12/17/2016 at 9:44 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

Oh gees, more crocodile tears over those less than perfect crabs.....boo hoo hoo.....ha ha.  Ok Ron show us the best crab you have in your massive collection of crabbies.  As I'm fond of saying "they were dead at the time"  and nobody looks good when dead...ha ha.

Hey, have your heard anything from Jason B.

Hey Ron

You know I'm teasing.  Just envious of all those concs you have to work.  Yeah those perfect ones are rare.  However, do show us your best one so we can be wowed.

I remember -20 when I was a kid in Minnesota and we went outside and played in the snow like it was nothing! I remember having to wrap a scarf around my face to breath through!

I still don't know what all this talk is of "snow",  I think I read about it in a book once. 

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

I still don't know what all this talk is of "snow",  I think I read about it in a book once. 

It's kind of like fluffy rain that is rather uncomfortable when your older brother pins you face down in it and shoves around 30 pounds of it down the neck of your coat.

17 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It's kind of like fluffy rain that is rather uncomfortable when your older brother pins you face down in it and shoves around 30 pounds of it down the neck of your coat.

Ahh good times!!

Looks like crab post turned into cold weather post.   Yeah, it was cold that day but no wind.   Wind can be brutal!  The only wind I had was from my little heater in the garage.  :)

RB

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I think anyone with an older brother got to share the same love.  Unfortunately, I had two.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think anyone with an older brother got to share the same love.  Unfortunately, I had two.

I think you're right. I got my revenge though... By the time I was in the 8th grade (brother was in 11th) I was an inch taller and 40 pounds heavier. :muahaha:

Archived