help with ID please

kevinnix

hi all, a member of my local fossil club is wondering if the specimen he found in the bottom of a dam in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, might be a fossil, or just a mineral. The specimen is about 3 inches round. Sorry, but the 2 photos i have are only of a standard quality.

cheers, kevin

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

I agree this more look like geologic than fossil.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I don't think there are igneous or metamorphic rocks in the area but guess that the river could transport something from a long way off. This doesn't look like any banded gneiss that I've seen, (not that it couldn't be). If we could get a sharply focused close up it would help.

On 19/12/2016 at 3:34 PM, Plax said:

I don't think there are igneous or metamorphic rocks in the area but guess that the river could transport something from a long way off. This doesn't look like any banded gneiss that I've seen, (not that it couldn't be). If we could get a sharply focused close up it would help.

I agree;

it would be useful to have more detailed images, since it seems that the green section has a phaneritic crystal structure, with concentric layers of another white specimen;

just a suggestion., but since it’s similar in appearance to many other minerals, I would say, with the greek word, that it’s “deceitful” :) (apatite)

Archived