Dec. 15th, 2016 Peace River unknowns

Sacha

Thursday's trip to the Peace was a little more productive than the last few and yielded these 2 unknowns. I'd appreciate an ID if possible. The first is a stubby little phalanx. The second is most likely a recent tooth. 

DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

The phalanx looks like it could be from a sloth, not entirely positive on that though. Certainly looks like a productive trip based on all the finds I can see! Were you diving or surface finding?

The bone does bear a superficial resemblance to a sloth phalanx. Here's a box of sloth toes . . . see if you can pick out the toe that doesn't belong with the rest of 'em.  I believe the odd toe is similar to Sacha's.

And, Sacha . . . two views of the same side of the mystery toe?  Really?

sloth_toesA.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, Frostedoddity said:

The phalanx looks like it could be from a sloth, not entirely positive on that though. Certainly looks like a productive trip based on all the finds I can see! Were you diving or surface finding?

Just normal screen sifting.

34 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here's a box of sloth toes . . . see if you can pick out the toe that doesn't belong with the rest of 'em.  I believe the odd toe is similar to Sacha's.

My bad. Here's the other side, although it's pretty featureless. I don't see any in the box of sloth toes that are as compact as this one. Geometry is basically similar, but if robustness is the diagnostic feature of sloth toes, then it fits. (which one doesn't belong?)

DSCF1276.jpg

The tooth looks somewhat bobcatish to me john.

But it seems a bit larger.

Basic shape is there, What else is found there related to bobcat?

The mystery tooth looks like nothing I've ever pulled from the Peace--eagerly awaiting some information on that one. Nice horse incisor to the left of the mystery knuckle. Can we get a top-down view as well so we can gauge the profile from that angle. The only sloth phalanx I've ever pulled from the Peace was on a trip with you to the "elephant graveyard" site. Not a claw core but the next nearest bone.

Cheers.

-Ken

Sacha!  Why are you being so stingy with your images!  The articular facets are important to an ID.

In my box of sloth toes, the second from the left in the top row doesn't belong.  It is a bison medial phalanx.  That's what I think your mystery toe may be . . . a bovid, cow or bison, medial phalanx.

bison.sloth_phalanges.JPG

bison_med_phalangesB.JPG

bison_phalanges.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi Harry, Sascha, and Innocent Bystanders,

Now I have to look through my phalanges a little more closely. I have a couple of that resemble some of the pieces in Harry's Sloth box. :)

I must be a phalange-magnet because I find at least one on every trip out.

Nice finds Sascha. 

Best regards,

MikeG

Not trying to be stingy Harry. Here are views of the 2 ends, but your photos definitely confirm that mine is a bison Medial phalanx. Thank you again.

DSCF1278.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

I appreciate the effort! Now, anybody have any comment on Blake's proposal that the tooth is bobcat? We do have them around, but they are a lot less common then they used to be.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 0:03 PM, Harry Pristis said:

On 12/16/2016 at 0:03 PM, Harry Pristis said:

The bone does bear a superficial resemblance to a sloth phalanx. Here's a box of sloth toes . . . see if you can pick out the toe that doesn't belong with the rest of 'em.  I believe the odd toe is similar to Sacha's.

Thanks for dragging those out. It does resemble a bison toe bone. I forget about all those little bits sometimes.

On 12/16/2016 at 2:47 PM, Sacha said:

Now, anybody have any comment on Blake's proposal that the tooth is bobcat? We do have them around, but they are a lot less common then they used to be.

Hate to poop on your party, but it looks like an herbivore tooth to me, possibly deer. It's pointy but still has a flat surface used for grinding rather than cutting. I was gonna let someone else get that one because I wasn't sure on any specific species.