ParanormalSteve

Where can we drive to near coastal VA?

ParanormalSteve

Living in Chesapeake VA and moved out here a few years ago. I have had no luck finding any sites out here. Beaches seem to be barren and I don't have a canoe or a jet-ski to go exploring new shores. 

I don't mind driving out of the area but the last few times I tried to drive out somewhere the sites where no longer public or gone completely. 

I've got the itch to go hunting again but I can't seem to find any up to date resources on places I can go and collect legally. 

Anyone got any suggestions? Again, legally :P

Fossil-Hound

Get yourself a boat and check out Shark Tooth Island. The name itself is riveting and full of suspense! Here's a TTF post:

gavialboy

I would recommend going to westmoreland state park in Virginia I have been a few times and have drove home with some unique finds.

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Brownies beach is about four hours away if you want to day trip it ....

Cheers,

B

Brett Breakin' Rocks
On 12/16/2016 at 2:42 PM, ParanormalSteve said:

Living in Chesapeake VA and moved out here a few years ago. I have had no luck finding any sites out here. Beaches seem to be barren and I don't have a canoe or a jet-ski to go exploring new shores. 

I don't mind driving out of the area but the last few times I tried to drive out somewhere the sites where no longer public or gone completely. 

I've got the itch to go hunting again but I can't seem to find any up to date resources on places I can go and collect legally. 

If I were you .. I frequently hop in the car and head out at least two hours from home easy for a chance at some fossils.  Aurora NC is where the famous Lee Creek mine (PCS Phosphate Mine) is located and the Aurora Fossil Museum has spoil piles from that fossil rich location available to the public for free ... I wouldn't miss that for the world.  But again, we are an odd bunch right ?

2.5 hours from you --->  :trilowalk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_Fossil_Museum

http://aurorafossilmuseum.org/

Cheers,

B

PS. Bring a sifter ....

AFM_PitOfThePungo_2014.JPG

cck

Check out Jasper Burns book- good stuff to be found along the York and lower James rivers- good luck!

ParanormalSteve

Awesome posts guys! Sorry I took so long to respond. Busy weekend and all.

I am definitely down for driving a few hours if need be for a good site.

For the Aurora site, I went there once a while ago but didn't find much as they said it had been a long time since they got new stuff (Admittedly I didn't have a sifter). Do you know how often they change it out?

As for the others, I'll start doing some research online! Thanks for the leads guys!

dshields0111

This is the time of year to go (Dec. to Feb.). Other times of the year are unproductive. Go fossil hunting when it's really cold, and low tide. Purse Park in Maryland is very abundant in sharks teeth, shells, and mold fossils if that is what you are looking for. It's completely legal to collect there. It's about a 1/4-1/2 hike through a woodsy path from the very small parking area. This time of year you can easily find 200 sharks teeth if you stay for a 3-4 hours.

RCW3D
20 hours ago, dshields0111 said:

This is the time of year to go (Dec. to Feb.). Other times of the year are unproductive. Go fossil hunting when it's really cold, and low tide. Purse Park in Maryland is very abundant in sharks teeth, shells, and mold fossils if that is what you are looking for. It's completely legal to collect there. It's about a 1/4-1/2 hike through a woodsy path from the very small parking area. This time of year you can easily find 200 sharks teeth if you stay for a 3-4 hours.

He's spot on, from Chesapeake it is a good trip, about 3 1/2 hours to get there. You can expect to find a bunch of sand tiger and goblin teeth there, Otodus teeth are present as well, occasionally getting quite large. The most sought after shark tooth there is a Paleocarcharodon, very few of those are found. We usually find a crocodile tooth or two when we go there as well.

Make sure you check the tides if you go, unless there is a blowout tide going on (from strong North winds), try to get there 2-3 hours before low tide at Liverpool Point.   

Plax

there are shell pits in your immediate vicinity including one that used to allow pay to collect activity. Do some googling and google earth work.

SailingAlongToo
On 12/16/2016 at 2:42 PM, ParanormalSteve said:

Paranormal Steve,

Hello from another central / eastern Virginian who frequents the waterways of our great Commonwealth.

I have a few suggestions within a 90 minutes, 1 way drive of Chesapeake (3 hour round trip), each with public access. All of which have public access and are "walk-ins" to collect. Public access is the KEY here, as in your post you mentioned, "collect legally". Digging in the cliffs is FORBIDDEN at all of these sites and is extremely dangerous.

1) York River State Park - I happen to know a 4" Meg was found there several weeks ago. I should probably post a photo. Great hiking/biking too. (Small grounds fee.)

2) Chippokes State Park - teeth, bone and lots of shells are frequently found on the beach there. Awesome 3 mile round trip walk down the beach and back. (Small grounds fee.)

3) Lieutenants Run in Petersburg - lots of neat shells, a few teeth and some bone can be found here. (FREE)

If you don't mind a 3 hour drive, 1 way, there are a couple more options.

4) Westmoreland State Park - teeth, bone and shells are found here in their small, public access beach called Fossil Beach. The beach under the cliffs is off limits and posted No Trespassing. They (Park Rangers) have started arresting people for trespassing and destruction of state property. (Small grounds fee.)

5) Stratford Hall Plantation - lots of teeth, bone and a few shells can be found here on their small section of "public beach." The rest of the beach under the cliffs is off limits and is posted as No Trespassing. They too are actively discouraging trespassers, if you take my meaning. (Small grounds fee.)

The suggestion someone made about Shark Tooth Island is a little complicated. It's private property for starters and is posted as such, unless the signs have been knocked down again by wind and waves. If they are down, they will get put back up fairly soon. You have to have a "membership" in order to collect or go there, unless you are with another "member." You can google Shark Tooth Island and find out how to get a membership if you want it. I will tell you, in the nice weather it is extremely over hunted.

If I'm thinking of the same shell pits that Plax mentions above, I think they are closed / flooded now.

Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

Good Luck,

SA2 (Jack)