Exposed Anatomy of Lower Devonian Brachiopod from New York

Jeffrey P

Found this small Lower Devonian brachiopod two weeks ago- Meristella laevis with part of the outer shell broken away exposing the internal anatomy. It was found near Deer Park, NY. in Orange County. A special thanks to Gordon on the Forum for showing me this small exposure.

IMG_5147.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Nice lophophore! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very cool, Jeff. 
Nice example, for sure. 

Thanks for showing it to us, here. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fascinating! I could not help but spend hours looking up info about it. Here's a better specimen from London's Natural History Museum:

spiriferina-fossil-brachiopod-two-column

This preserved structure is called a brachidium. It is a cartilage that supports the lophophore, a filter feeding organ (which is also present in bryozoans, but in bryozoans it is like a crown while in brachiopods it is U-shaped or coiled). Brachiopods are named after the U-shaped lophophore, which is also called a brachium because of its resemblance to an arm (brachium is the anatomical term for the arm minus the hand).

The lophophore is filled with tentacles, but unlike conventional tentacles, they are hollow like a tube. Cilia at the top of the lophophore wave around to move water through the tentacles, where planktons are trapped by mucus, then transported by cilia all the way to the brachiopod's mouth.

p.s. Not all brachiopods have a brachidium. For species that don't, the lophophore is solely supported by the water pressure inside the shells.

• I found this Informative 3