Last Trip before Snow!

sTamprockcoin

Went out to one of my favorite roadside collecting spots shortly after I moved back to the Altoona, Blair County, PA, USA area. Cold, drizzly day but a bad day of rockhounding beats the best day of work! Here's a pic of a cleaned sample (approx. 3inx4in) of Crinoidal limestone (Shriver Formation - late Surilian/early Devonian). I've included a link {http://fcopg.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/68th2003.pdf } to a detailed description of the site. Hopefully this spring I'll be able to figure out where the trilobites are hiding. 

Crinoidal Limestone.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Welcome back Tim. Haven't heard from you in a while. Adjusting OK to life in the Altoona area? I recall my trip out there last year- plenty of fossils and looked like great potential for more. That's a really cool looking crinoid plate. Hope you're able to get out again as soon as the snow melts. Best wishes.

Nice find! My parents live in Bedford, and my Dad worked in Altoona before retirement. On my visits with them I am always on the lookout for fossils but have not had any luck. I have found some minor mineral material but that's it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived