Ice Age Tooth

TNCollector

Hello everyone. This is one of a series of posts that I will be making today. I am NOT familiar with fossils of this age so I really need some help with identification of these specimens.

I did some collecting this week in a creek that exposes 3 formations, one that is Late Miocene (fossiliferous), one that is Pliocene (not fossiliferous), and one that is Pleistocene (fossiliferous). 

None of the fossils were found within the formation itself, so I don't know what formation each specimen came from. I found several bones that were undoubtedly modern, but the ones I am posting look and feel fossilized to me.

This is a tooth I found. It is in great shape and I was super excited to find it. I am fairly sure that it is a carnivore tooth, but other than that I don't know. 

Let me know what you all think!

Miocene to Pleistocene

Mississippi

Tooth of who?

tooth1.jpg

tooth2.jpg

tooth3.jpg

tooth4.jpg

I hope you find an ID, that is one GORGEOUS TOOTH!

I agree carnivore, we will see what someone has to say!

Thanks @Harry Pristis! Do you think that this is Pleistocene or more recent? Is there any specific indicator that differentiates between coyote and wolf?

EDIT: Also after some searching, fox looks similar too.

Gorgeous tooth, indeed.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It's interesting how being in water, a creek or river, seems to darken bones and teeth over time, even when they are somewhat recently deposited.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

43 minutes ago, old bones said:

That is a beautiful tooth!

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

It's interesting how being in water, a creek or river, seems to darken bones and teeth over time, even when they are somewhat recently deposited.

I am fairly confident that this tooth is a Pleistocene fossil. The formations exposed in this creek are well known for their mastodon and horse fossils, so it is not unlikely that this tooth is Pleistocene, but I have no idea how to distinguish between recent and Pleistocene fossils in this creek, precisely for the reasons you just stated.

This is a bobcat (Lynx rufus) upper carnassial (P4). You'll notice that the tooth has an extra anterior conid which differentiates it from Harry's coyote P4. Attached are images of a panther maxilla section with canine (C1) and two premolars (P3 & P4). 

Maxilla 1 (1).jpg

Maxilla 1 (2).jpg

Maxilla 1 (3).jpg

Archived