What are these and how common are they?

Zalgork

I found a massive amount of these and was wondering what they are and how rare or common they are.  Found in a river bank in central Texas.  

2r6FMEU.jpg

O2F8g4c.jpg

NUwJQzR.jpg

.0blhmM1.jpg

Reminds me a little of an Exogyra.  I don't believe that whatever it actually is would be that rare. Judging solely off the massive amount you have shown.

• I found this Informative 1

Those look like the so-called 'Devil's Toenails', Gryphaea sp., a Cretaceous oyster.  They are not terribly uncommon in many Texas Cretaceous strata but those look like particularly nice ones.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Ilymatogyra arietina oysters.  They are very common in the Main Street, Grayson and Del Rio formations. 

• I found this Informative 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I vote for the Exogyra Ilymatogyra arietina.

Ilymatogyra arietina

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm thinking Texigryphea sp. Nice finds but really common

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Ilymatogyra arietina (new name) =  Exogyra arietina (old name)

Wagih Ayoub-Hannaa & Franz Theodor Fürsich. Functional morphology and taphonomy of Cenomanian (Cretaceous) oysters from the eastern Sinai Peninsula, Egypt. Palaeobio Palaeoenv (2011) 91:197-214

A few Ilymatogyra arietina (Roemer, 1849) specimens are shown in Fig. 2 f-h.

Ilymatogyra.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Interesting is this specimen, which is nicely bored by a clionaid demosponge making those visible holes on the surface. So, you have a fossil oyster Ilymatogyra arietina with ichnofossil Entobia .

NUwJQzR.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library