beginner question

zsb04

hello, looking for your expert advice. i would like to do some touch up work on a fossil to bring out more details. it is a keichousaurus in a hard slate material. i mostly want to work on the head and rib areas. i don't want to mess it up so looking for something safe for fine detail work, would something like this work?  https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-AEC-K-Abrasive-sprayer/dp/B001CJIHFI/ref=sr_1_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1482120215&sr=8-1&keywords=Paasche+air+eraser

Because links expire on sale items (leaving your topic meaningless), I've captured a photo of the Paasche kit you mentioned.    :)

paasche kit.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That's the kind of kit I started out with. It worked well but I grew tired of constantly refilling the small abrasive reservoir constantly. If you're not going to be doing a bunch of prep work, this should do well for you.

Practice a bit on a scrap fossil first. You can do some serious damage with an air abrasive unit without realizing it. 

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Also consider the blasting media. You will probably have better results with dolomite or aluminum oxide. Don't forget a respirator. The dust is a health hazard.

I also would recommend some sort of magnification if you are going to work on a Keichiosaurus.  

Something like this

http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Lighting-Magnification/Magnifiers-Accessories/Headband-Magnifiers/DA-5-65693?gclid=CKXn1-qSm9ECFQoKaQod22QKYQ

I have a 3x and a 10x lens and I find the 10x to be too much ...I would recommend a 5x.  Not cheap, but worth the effort.  Cluros suggested a respirator.  I suggest one step more, a sand blasting chamber and suction set-up, like a shop vac equipped with fine filter.  

Get yourself my 'How to Cuss like a Pro" by RB.    Be careful around those little tiny finger bones.  The very first one I ever did i litteraly blew away a couple of them.  Good luck.

RB

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Get yourself my 'How to Cuss like a Pro" by RB.    Be careful around those little tiny finger bones.  The very first one I ever did i litteraly blew away a couple of them.  Good luck.

RB

RB's experience shows why it would be good to get some sort of magnification.  

Be very careful with abrasives on a keichousaurus. The bone is usually nearly as hard as the matrix and it is very easy to blow the bones away with the shale. You would probably have better luck on finish detail with acid.