Woehr's Texas Meanderings - Ephemeral Edition

Uncle Siphuncle

Enough of these train wreck specimens.  Let's view a few things a little easier on the eyes.  A better vert and higher grade piece of tusk material are shown below.

Qt Mammoth Vert and Tusk - Copy.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Quality mammoth teeth have proven elusive for me over the years.  I'm pleased to introduce a couple good ones I almost tripped over.  Serendipity rings loudest when you find something like this completely unexpectedly while looking for something of a different age.  I'm glad my Cretaceous radar didn't put out a blocking signal.

IMG_1786 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1793 - Copy.JPG

Grüße,

And then there was the "piece de resistance"....I've hoped for a find of this magnitude for quite a few years.  It was upside down when I found it, and I recognized it as a mammoth mandible by contour...but I still approached slowly, savoring the moment....peeking over the top....rolling it toward me....would it be another empty socket...WHOA!  

This juvie left mandible has a 5 inch long erupted tooth, making it about 10 years old at death.  The stripped away bone on the lingual side of the jaw actually adds character in that it reveals the tooth replacement system in great detail.  It also makes it clear why this jaw retained its teeth, unlike the other 5 or so I've found over the years.  The teeth are cemented into the alveoli with hard matrix.  

Pleased as punch with this one.

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1e - Copy.JPG

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1f - Copy.JPG

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1g - Copy.JPG

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

All of the above made for a pretty satisfying couple of years.  With a few collecting milestones behind me, my mind began to clear and I began to truly enjoy my field time on a new level as certain self imposed pressures to succeed had been lifted off of me.  Then...

!!!BOOM!!!  Smilodon fatalis!  Drop the mic!

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1g - Copy.JPG

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

I'll never find another one of these canines, and this one wasn't complete, so I put forth my best effort to make it so.  9.5-10 inches along the curve.  Restoration process shown below.

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1c - Copy.JPG

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1d - Copy.JPG

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1h - Copy.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

I couldn't leave that canine rattling around the house, so I put it in a Riker mount.  It looked a little lonely in there, so I threw a few other personal finds in to keep it company.  There are my first Ohio trilobites from when I was a kid, my first Ordovician prone Flexicalamene, an Eocene Zanthopsis crab, a Ptychodus occidentalis toothPermian Captorhinus skull, my best example of new species of Codiopsis echinoid, my best mosasaur tooth, and a few things shown earlier in this report.  I like to pull out this Riker for a look every now and then.

IMG_1795.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

There is more to the saga, but I'll stop there.  Thanks for looking.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Wow Dan! Incredible finds and awesome pics. Felt like I was there:D

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You did a great job at restoring that Smilodon canine! And that youthful mammoth jaw must have left you drooling on the spot! Not to mention all those cretaceous ammonites....and the echis...got any snails?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

And then there was the "piece de resistance"....I've hoped for a find of this magnitude for quite a few years.  It was upside down when I found it, and I recognized it as a mammoth mandible by contour...but I still approached slowly, savoring the moment....peeking over the top....rolling it toward me....would it be another empty socket...WHOA!  

This juvie left mandible has a 5 inch long erupted tooth, making it about 10 years old at death.  The stripped away bone on the lingual side of the jaw actually adds character in that it reveals the tooth replacement system in great detail.  It also makes it clear why this jaw retained its teeth, unlike the other 5 or so I've found over the years.  The teeth are cemented into the alveoli with hard matrix.  

Pleased as punch with this one.

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1e - Copy.JPG

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1f - Copy.JPG

Qt Mammoth Mandible 1g - Copy.JPG

The collection You have shown so far is amazing, but this piece is way beyond fantastic amazing find!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you Dan we can count on you to find and share some of the most amazing Texas fossils nature has to offer.

I enjoy the meanderings so much, anticipating the next adventure already.

We sure got some good stuff here in Texas but

just a little short changed in the Meg tooth department.

Hey we make up for it in diversity though.

Now for my favorite of what you shared with us.     Hmmm...

I'll have to say----- darn it, I can't decide!

Thanks again and hope you and everyone else a Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jessy B.

Amazing finds buddy. If you ever need a hardcore hunting buddy hit me on FB. I'm hitting NSR and Post Oak Creek hard the next few weeks. 

Dan is the fossil man when it comes to collecting. He finds more great stuff than most museums have in their collections! Thanks for the show and feel free to post a sequel anytime!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Dude...this is ridiculous!...stunning finds. This "Meanderings", though waaayyyy toooo late ;), is one of your finest. 

:wub:w.m.1.JPGw.m.2.JPG:wub:

I am not sure what I would do with a beach full of large ammonites!

You might compare your Coilopoceras with C. Inflatum.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

14 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I couldn't leave that canine rattling around the house, so I put it in a Riker mount.  It looked a little lonely in there, so I threw a few other personal finds in to keep it company.  There are my first Ohio trilobites from when I was a kid, my first Ordovician prone Flexicalamene, an Eocene Zanthopsis crab, a Ptychodus occidentalis toothPermian Captorhinus skull, my best example of new species of Codiopsis echinoid, my best mosasaur tooth, and a few things shown earlier in this report.  I like to pull out this Riker for a look every now and then.

IMG_1795.JPG

Absolutely fanTAStic stuff there! An accumulation of fun days and memories! Wow..... Just wow!

15 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Thank you Dan we can count on you to find and share some of the most amazing Texas fossils nature has to offer.

I enjoy the meanderings so much, anticipating the next adventure already.

We sure got some good stuff here in Texas but

just a little short changed in the Meg tooth department.

Hey we make up for it in diversity though.

Now for my favorite of what you shared with us.     Hmmm...

I'll have to say----- darn it, I can't decide!

Thanks again and hope you and everyone else a Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jessy B.

Hi Jess.  Accolades appreciated.  I have a plan for 2017 that could lead to an upgrade to the ratty, moth eaten 3 inch Meg I found in the Peace years ago.  If I meet success, you'll hear about it.

Grüße,

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:drool: Wow Dan, after all these years... you still make me SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply amazing.

I have that effect on a lot of people!

Grüße,

10 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Dan is the fossil man when it comes to collecting. He finds more great stuff than most museums have in their collections! Thanks for the show and feel free to post a sequel anytime!

Hey Dave, one part of this whole gig I get a kick out of is taking my wife and kid to a natural history museum, then listening to them critique the displays against their own personal finds, sometimes feeling sorry for the museum.  

Grüße,

Hey Dan, very much enjoyed seeing all the finds, the perils, and love the statement about being abstemious when contemplating spousal approval vs. storage and display space back home. You are killing me. Thanks for sharing with us all...we are definitely in awe! 

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

10 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Dude...this is ridiculous!...stunning finds. This "Meanderings", though waaayyyy toooo late ;), is one of your finest. 

:wub:w.m.1.JPGw.m.2.JPG:wub:

I am not sure what I would do with a beach full of large ammonites!

You might compare your Coilopoceras with C. Inflatum.

Amigo Mike

Family life, as you've recently experienced, can be quite frantic at times.  In the last week I've done an oil change, brake job, replaced a seized (open!) bath tub valve, troubleshot and fixed a friend ground fault circuit, troubleshot and fixed failed heat and blower on our home HVAC, just a day before the arctic front rolled through.  Oh yeah, and Christmas shopping too.  Many weeks unfold in like fashion.  All that said, it is easy to understand why fossil reporting takes a back seat quite often.

Grüße,

4 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Dan, very much enjoyed seeing all the finds, the perils, and love the statement about being abstemious when contemplating spousal approval vs. storage and display space back home. You are killing me. Thanks for sharing with us all...we are definitely in awe! 

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

Hello Chris

Awe is fine, but feel free to use this thread to fan the flames of inspiration.  These finds were extra rewarding since I put in the time and effort to find most of the sites on my own.

Grüße,

Congratulations! Loved reading your report on all your recent finds and that Smilodon tooth is wicked! Great job restoring that :)