Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

Beautiful tooth, another for me to look up :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

14 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Nor have I, but I have seen the publication quoted in other publications as a reference. I've shown some professionals the 'artifacts'; some say they are artifacts, others say they're not. But it's not my area of expertise. Looking at geological maps of Oklahoma, however, does indicate the general area to be Pliocene in age.

Yeah, I've seen the reference cited as well.  It looks like it might be tough to find outside of the USGS library in Denverr or Restion (Virginia).  They closed the one near me.  I can try contacting Woodburne directly.  I don't know artifacts either. 

Jess

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a crocodile osteoderm from the late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Dawson County, Montana.  It's just over 2 inches long. 

It was collected by a member of the Franklin family who used to sell at Tucson in the 80's and 90's.  The husband and wife (Harold and Delma) have since passed away but I remember them, two of the nicest people I've ever met in my travels.

croc_osteo.jpg

Here is a crocodile tooth in matrix from the Haile Quarry near Gainesville, Florida.  It think it was in the 70's that someone discovered a temporary site there where crocodile remains were very common.  I've seen a lot of teeth and a couple of jaw sections from there. 

The tooth is sticking up out of the matrix with the tooth being about 1 1/2 inches long and the matrix just under 3 inches wide.  I think the age is Late Miocene.

croc_haile.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Here is a crocodile tooth in matrix from the Haile Quarry near Gainesville, Florida.  It think it was in the 70's that someone discovered a temporary site there where crocodile remains were very common.  I've seen a lot of teeth and a couple of jaw sections from there. 

The tooth is sticking up out of the matrix with the tooth being about 1 1/2 inches long and the matrix just under 3 inches wide.  I think the age is Late Miocene.

Yes, Haile XIX, the "croc hole," now long buried in the reclamation cycle.  Lots of croc material, but also some land mammals.

croctoespatho.JPG

croc_ungual.jpg

crocodilian_humeri.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks, Harry.  Yes, Haile XiX.  I always forget the number for some reason. 

I bought the tooth I have from George Lee back in the 90's.  I thought it was a cool display piece.  I used to pick up crocodilian material especially when it was from places they don't live today.

Jess

• 1 month later...
On 09/08/2019 at 5:13 AM, siteseer said:

Yeah, I've seen the reference cited as well.  It looks like it might be tough to find outside of the USGS library in Denverr or Restion (Virginia).  They closed the one near me.  I can try contacting Woodburne directly.  I don't know artifacts either. 

Jess

If you do, could you forward it to me? I'd love to have a read of it. 

@PaleoNoel it's not the biggest osteoderm we have!received_1896305070396462.thumb.jpeg.866e9cc6095f5b7257eb05c09d902e5f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

That's a monster of an osteoderm!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

46 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

That's a monster of an osteoderm!

It is! Found it upside-down and was in disbelief at how large it was!

Found our largest isolated Pallimnarchus tooth to date-rare as it is, and when we do find them, they're typically buggered like this one. But still-take what we can get!

20191010_115406.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Skye didn’t mention she also found this. Diprot bone with croc bites. 

D2F56CD7-12E1-4CA4-8DCD-9378BC992F8B.jpeg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Turtle mandibles have foramina.  This looks like a fragmentary bivalve with the solid convex side and the delaminating convex side.

414_macroclemys_mand.thumb.JPG.308d8c3602c5daf33a82162fde1e1a98.JPG

We don't find fossil bivalves :unsure:

This is the suspected tortoise jaw it might match:

1570949435619_0446168784_b9e0d3a7.jpg

1570949435618_0806461644_b9e0d3a7.jpg

On 5/3/2018 at 8:26 PM, StevenJD said:

Bissekty Formation croc 

DSCN1863.JPG

DSCN1866.JPG

DSCN1872.JPG

DSCN1873.JPG

Did you get them identified? Because I also have three crocodilomorphs teeth from bissekty. Looking for mor information I found that there are at least 4 different crocodilomorphs taxa. 

My biggest teeth is 4,7 cm the second 4 cm and last 2 cm

Screenshot_20200203_090234_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200203_090156.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, siteseer said:

An occurrence of alligators in the Pleistocene of Oklahoma strikes me as unlikely but not impossible.  There were still alligators in Nebraska in the Late Miocene but they were rare.  Alligators can tolerate cooler temperatures than crocodiles.  Do you have locality data for that specimen?  We think of the Pleistocene as the ice Ages but during the interglacial intervals, it might have been warmer and wetter in that region than it is now.  If gar fossils are found at the site as well, it's possible.  It's a very interesting fossil.

Jess

Alligators are found there now in the Holocene..."bottom right corner" of the state (McCurtain County).

• 2 months later...

Upper Cretaceous crocodile osteoderm(?) from October 2019 in Travis County, Texas - South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford Shale (Early to Middle Turonian). 

Not sure of the genus - could it be Bayomesasuchus? 

1_20191029_124120.jpg

0_20191029_124232.jpg

One more - turtle scute my wife found on our hunt in the Upper Cretaceous Corsicana marl, Travis County, Texas. 

198.jpeg

197.jpeg

192.jpeg

I never really got many crocs--been more of a focus on dinosaur. But, I read a book about prehistoric crocs and it got me interested in adding a few. So, recent purchases.

1 and 2 - An unknown croc jaw from Kem Kem

2  and 3 - A pair of sets of Kem Kem crocodile scutes -- I'm probably gonna get some of the assorted croc teeth and have all these displayed in a frame together with them.

4 - A small Theriosuchus tooth from the Hastings Beds in the UK.

I've got my eye on a few more interesting-looking croc teeth to hopefully add soon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

theriosuchus tooth2.jpg

• 6 months later...

As I cannot compete in the FOTM because of insufficiently recent photos, I still want to share with you one of my last preparations

Lower eocene of southwest FranceIMGP9484.JPG.36a450dc1e816ea79ce9549fd4dee61f.JPG

IMGP9487.JPG.85d871adebcc75c75c97378d4ceed0bf.JPG

IMGP9491.JPG.1131eaa3b0e047db26cbc7407ffb4b3b.JPG

IMGP9486.thumb.JPG.41b42f182bf31886850626376c7ef82d.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, LSCHNELLE said:

Upper Cretaceous crocodile osteoderm(?) from October 2019 in Travis County, Texas - South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford Shale (Early to Middle Turonian). 

Not sure of the genus - could it be Bayomesasuchus? 

1_20191029_124120.jpg

0_20191029_124232.jpg

It has been suggested that this may be a large ray denticle rather than a crocodile scute. 

6 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

I don't see a croc scute

Expand the thread or go back to my 7/29/2020 original post.

Do you see a 50 cm wide dark brown fossil?  I was told by a professor that it was a large ray or skate denticle instead. What do you think? 

10 hours ago, caterpillar said:

As I cannot compete in the FOTM because of insufficiently recent photos, I still want to share with you one of my last preparations

Lower eocene of southwest France

Spectaculaire, catrepillar.