Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

1 hour ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Anyone else have specimens? Surprisingly, not much gator has been posted.

I'm too lazy to photograph a lot of it.   Here's a few older photos. Low resolution so not much detail. These are all 'crocodilia'.  I have no idea what is the difference between croc and Allogator in the Cretaceous. 

An occiptal condyle. ( skull attach hinge).  Likely 'Liedyosuchus candadensis'

Scutes

Pointed scutes

Some croc material and other verts in one of my display cases ( including jaw section).  I change my museum displays every few months.

Variety of teeth from range of Late Cretaceous deposits

Croc teeth with worn tips

We find these 'hunk of junk' croc bones among dino and turtle remains.  Both turtle and croc are almost always found together.

IMG_6053.PNG

IMG_6055.PNG

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6095.PNG

IMG_6097.PNG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Wow, Canadawest! Love the articulated spinal column and jaw!

@Harry Pristis Those vaguely remind me of a claw from Aus I have...some experts have said croc, others tortoise, still yet others bird. I'll attach it to this post in the hopes you might be able to proffer an idea as to its identification. Most lean towards croc/tortoise, but I haven't posted it here yet due to it's ambiguous identity. Nice claw, by the way!

1469603737324_0352872398_b9e0d3a7-1-1.jpg

1469434278753_0264895901_b9e0d3a7-1.jpg

1469603737324_0997038910_b9e0d3a7-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

@Canadawest - I'd love to see more pics of that jaw! Do you find many? (Compared to Dino)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

22 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Minnesota Nice has not told us whether traces of skulls and limb bones were present in the cluster of 'exploded' fossils -- examples of primary deposition.

Thanks to all of you for weighting in on this, I always find the debate valuable. While I wouldn't say I did a thorough survey, I found no fossil remains other then the Stylemys in this area. I looked through 2 of the exploded exposed fossils and found no trace of bones. I am including a photo that includes most of the area and if you look close you can see a many of the exposed and weathered examples. 

wwww.jpg

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

My cf. Elosuchus sp. tooth and scute from El Bagaa, Taouz. The tiny scute is a Leidyosuchus sternbergii from Hell Creek Formation.

As always with Moroccan fossils, there's a degree of uncertainty as to whether these truly are from Elosuchus genus. However, there are experts who believe they are, so for now I am labeling them as such.

Elosuchus 2b.jpg

Elosuchus-3.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Great thread. But why isn't this in member collections like the other similar thread?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

22 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Wow, Canadawest! Love the articulated spinal column and jaw!

Thanks.  I like to present some fossils is a bit of an artistic manner.  This is one I did about 25 years ago. These specimens were from my first couple years of collecting. It is stll more or less unchanged and used as glass covered coffee table in our living room. There are some non dino fossils among these.

IMG_5078.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Great thread. But why isn't this in member collections like the other similar thread?

Good point...it's been moved.  ;)

Here is a photo I took at the Vertebrate Paleontology Lab (University of Texas at Austin) several years ago.  They were prepping and casting a very large Deinosuchus jaw from the Big Bend area in Texas.  You can see a modern alligator jaw they were using as a reference.  The pocket knife is 3.25 inches long.

VPL-DEINOSUCHUS  JAW 01.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@-Andy- That is a HUGE scute :o

I was unsure where to post this thread; I just put it where I thought it would be okay and had forgotten the Member's Collections part of the Forum :blush:

@Canadawest I can only imagine what your house looks like...a museum?

@Harry Pristis Perchance, have you any idea as to the aforementioned claw? Nice calcaneum, by the way :)

Thanks, @JohnJ :) That is an amazing jaw...how was it found/how did the museum react to finding/obtaining it? I should get Ash to post the croc jaws the Queensland Museum has in its repositories...not as many as you would think, oddly enough.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

29 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

. . .

@Harry Pristis Perchance, have you any idea as to the aforementioned claw? Nice calcaneum, by the way :)

. . .

The  claw core from the Cretaceous of Alberta?  Sorry, no help here.

Here are some more crocodilian bones:

croc_osteoderms.JPG

crocodilian_humeri.JPG

crocodilianfemora.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

@Harry Pristis, I mean the Pleistocene claw from Queensland, Australia :)

I like the scutes!

1 hour ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Thanks, @JohnJ :) That is an amazing jaw...how was it found/how did the museum react to finding/obtaining it? I should get Ash to post the croc jaws the Queensland Museum has in its repositories...not as many as you would think, oddly enough.

Not completely sure of the backstory, but I think a paleontologist (associated with the university) had been doing field work out there for a while.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is an unprepped Green River crocodile

Found June 11, 2016

Green River Formation

Kemmerer WY

Measures 8 foot 1 inch. (2.46 meters) along the spine from nose to tail tip.

Size of matrix 6 foot by 4 foot (1.83 x 1.22 meters)

Still in process of being prepped. This picture was taken the night it was found.

croc.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

36 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Still in process of being prepped. This picture was taken the night it was found.

That is a nice one!! Any pictures of it during prep?

Would love to see the progress.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

That is a nice one!! Any pictures of it during prep?

Would love to see the progress.

Tony

Sorry Tony, can't share pics during or after prep until after it has gone on sale ;)

Downside of working at a commercial quarry!

1 minute ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Sorry Tony, can't share pics during or after prep until after it has gone on sale ;)

Downside of working at a commercial quarry!

Oh well.:(

I hope You will post a pictural of it after the sale!:popcorn:

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wow! That Green River croc should look nice when finished! :wub:

I'll upload more when I find pics on my phone :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

One of my rarer fossils. A Kaprosuchus saharicus from Echkar Formation of Niger.

Kaprosuchus_1.JPGKaprosuchus_2.JPG

Kaprosuchus.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Nice, Andy.

Skull elements and a vert:

IMG_1164.PNG

IMG_1165.PNG

IMG_1166.PNG

IMG_1167.PNG

Nice verts, Ash!