Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

JPC - I like that blue vert! Any chance of some close ups of that claw..?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

@Canadawest I am amazed...when are some of those teeth going to find their way into my mailbox? :P Nice turtle, by the way! Is it Trionyx that is one of the prized ones?

@Shellseeker Do you have a full pic of the jaw? It is neat that yours still has the teeth!

@jpc

...That's a lot of scutes. A lot...

They seem much more common a find here in the U.S. than in Aus-I have half a scute and Ash doesn't have many either in all of his years collecting Aus fauna. May have to try and find some in Florida :P Do you have any in situ photos? And I second Ash's remark-more pics of that croc claw please!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

3 hours ago, jpc said:

( not sure how to quote just text. Seem to have to copy whole message and messes it up)

JPC

Those are quite the croc fossils!

Re Eocene and Wyoming.

Years ago I was with Arapaho friends near Riverton, Wyoming.  It was on a ranch bordering the reserve.  The soil was a bit sandy and I stuck my hand in it.  As I lifted my fingers there was this bunch of croc vertebrae.  It was by far the richest non dino verebrate site I had ever chanced upon.  

I scooped up these verts which were all together. I always assumed it was Eocene as they were much bigger than anything I found in the Cretaceous.  They also have that slightly softer finish that is similar to material found in the White River badlands.

Anyways, I only stuck my hand in once.  It was April and there were a half dozen ticks that were as interested in me as I was in the fossils.  After that it was 'yuck' and stripped down pulling ticks off.

I always planned to return to the area but never have. I dont know if I've embellished my experience over the decades but it was definitely one of those high points of my fossil adventures.

IMG_6240.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

Nice collection of verts.  Just stick your hand in the ground... that's how I find them, too.  : )

Yeah, Eocene is my guess.  There is a lot of Eocene around there.  

11 hours ago, Canadawest said:

( not sure how to quote just text. Seem to have to copy whole message and messes it up)

Highlight the desired text. You should then get a flag that says "quote this". Click on that and it should do the trick!

Tony

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

11 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

@Canadawest

@Shellseeker Do you have a full pic of the jaw? It is neat that yours still has the teeth!
@jpc

Pleased to oblige. This was the 1st and only alligator jaw I found that still had a couple of teeth. It was protected in a sand-mud mix from the churn of the Peace River.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I love the color of these teeth...

IMG_0766 (1023x1280).jpg

...from the Miocene of Maryland (Calvert Cliffs).

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

21 hours ago, Ash said:

JPC - I like that blue vert! Any chance of some close ups of that claw..?

I'll try.  Yeah, I love the blue stuff too.  This site has some pretty crazy blue fossils.  I have posted others in the past.  

6 hours ago, ynot said:

Highlight the desired text. You should then get a flag that says "quote this". Click on that and it should do the trick!

Tony

Nice! I've just been hitting the Quote at the bottom right corner of a posting and manually removing what I didn't want to appear in the quoted text. You learn something every day--which is good, I have to keep up with all that I'm forgetting... :o

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Just caught wind of this topic--must have been otherwise occupied when it started. I'm going to enjoy reading this back from the first posting.

32 minutes ago, digit said:

Nice! I've just been hitting the Quote at the bottom right corner of a posting and manually removing what I didn't want to appear in the quoted text. You learn something every day--which is good, I have to keep up with all that I'm forgetting... :o

Ha!  It works!!   I was reluctant to respond to some threads especially if there was a string of photos.

re JPC and his blue fossils...i've never seen a fossil with bright blue like that before.  We have 'blue tinged' dino material from the Scollard Formation but nothing that jumps out with the 'wow' factor.

Here are a couple of tiny osteoderms of a small 'gator (A. olseni) from the Early Miocene of Florida.  I found these in excavated matrix, sorted under magnification.

osteoderm_su4_vial4.JPG

osteoderm_su4_vial4_ventral.JPG

osteoderm_su5_vial7_dorsal.JPG

osteoderm_su5_vial7_ventral.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, Canadawest said:

Ha!  It works!!   I was reluctant to respond to some threads especially if there was a string of photos.

re JPC and his blue fossils...i've never seen a fossil with bright blue like that before.  We have 'blue tinged' dino material from the Scollard Formation but nothing that jumps out with the 'wow' factor.

Canadawest...how about these for some crazy blue.  I have posted them before, but they are croc bones, so here they are.  Eocene... same site as the other blue vert. The top photo is a block full of croc scutes and one big blue turtle plate.  This is partof a larger block with lots of bones including two croc jaws.  I can't find pix of those.  Maybe when I go take close ups of the croc claw, I will take shots of the jaws. 

P1090697b.jpg

P1090693b.jpg

This next piece has a lot of crazy blue bones.  These are croc and turtle bones.  

post-1450-0-98746600-1347249766.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

On 12/24/2016 at 10:59 PM, FossilDudeCO said:

Here is an unprepped Green River crocodile

Found June 11, 2016

Green River Formation

Kemmerer WY

Measures 8 foot 1 inch. (2.46 meters) along the spine from nose to tail tip.

Size of matrix 6 foot by 4 foot (1.83 x 1.22 meters)

Still in process of being prepped. This picture was taken the night it was found.

croc.jpg

Is there anything you don't find? You must be the apex predator in the Green River formation, lol.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Harry..what is the little long bone in the first two pix?  Looks like a micro-baculum. 

I believe it's a frog tibiofibula.  I found more than a few micro-fossils in the limited sampling I did.

micro_vial_06_osteoderm.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

9 hours ago, jpc said:

Harry..what is the little long bone in the first two pix?  Looks like a micro-baculum. 

Unless I miss my guess a baculum in a crocodilian would be highly unusual (and highly suspect). :P

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: I just remembered that the Montbrook site that I did a volunteer dig with the FLMNH up in north-central Florida is full of both turtle and gator and so I thought I'd share a few field photos from that trip.

P2030045.jpg     P2040006.jpg     P2050055.jpg

P2030089.jpg     P3060067.jpg

a few more alligator pix.  Both of these are Eocene from Wyoming.  This first jawbone is about a foot long.  These are among my best, and favorites.

IMG_5704b.jpg

and here is a close up of the teeth.  This specimen took me two days to collect, and about 60 hours to prep.  

IMG_5705b.jpg

A second specimen form a fresh water limestone in southwestern WY.  Remains of a small alligator with my finger for scale.  

IMG_5707b.jpg

rotate it and zoom on in.  From left to right the bones we see are a scute, articular (back end of lower jaw, articulates with upper jaw), vertebra (facing us), two out of focus metapodials (toe/finger bones) of different sizes), and the dentary (with teeth and behind that, also out of focus is the ilium. 

IMG_5710b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice, JPC!

I went out today and came back with this osteoderm.

IMG_1682.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

you 're all showing crazy stuff!

Let's try something different , albeit less impressive : croc teeth from the callovian ( most probably Metriorynchus) in situ :

photo-2.JPG

photo.JPG

@digit

What is the last photo?

@jpc

Nice jaw! That must have taken ages to prepare!

@taj I love the in-situ photos...Metriorhynchus sounds familiar...

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

2 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

@digit

What is the last photo?

P3060067.jpg

An articulated turtle carapace (Trachemys sp. I believe).

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

@taj I love the in-situ photos...Metriorhynchus sounds familiar...

Metriorhynchus1.jpg

This guy. I think most prehistoric books include at least one of these guys. For some reason though, they've never made it into any major movies.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

27 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

This guy. I think most prehistoric books include at least one of these guys. For some reason though, they've never made it into any major movies.

Now that is really cool.:dinothumb:

Very nice that You found some!:envy:

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.