Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

I love this thread. 

Terrapene carolina 

Marion county, Floria USA

Pleistocene.

Tortoise fighting Spurs 

Gilchrist County, Floria USA

Pleistocene

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

I love this thread. 

Terrapene carolina 

Marion county, Floria USA

Pleistocene.

Tortoise fighting Spurs 

Gilchrist County, Floria USA

Pleistocene

image.jpeg

These are my favourites and Tidgy's too! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

20 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Go on then give us a look. :D

20 hours ago, StevenJD said:

Let's see the snout!  :)

Screenshot_20180505-193317.jpg

Screenshot_20180505-193345.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Annnnd here's a piece of croc limb and skull we (@Ash) found today :

Screenshot_20180505-193406.jpg

Screenshot_20180505-193421.jpg

Screenshot_20180505-193433.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Jesuslover340 very nice thank you.. 

The snout still has a bit of unforgiving matrix on it, but nonetheless...it is what it is :)

40 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

The snout still has a bit of unforgiving matrix on it, but nonetheless...it is what it is :)

If you are not happy with it you can post it to me I will be delighted with it. :D

54 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

If you are not happy with it you can post it to me I will be delighted with it. :D

Ha! It's the MATRIX on it I don't like :P

• I found this Informative 1

That snout is awesome!  I haven't seen any that nice from Bissekty.  

The croc limb and skull are nice too.  

Very nice finds! 

They are beautiful. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, StevenJD said:

That snout is awesome!  I haven't seen any that nice from Bissekty.  

The croc limb and skull are nice too.  

Unsure what species it is, though. 

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice finds! 

They are beautiful. :)

Thanks! Going out again today and hoping to find more of our "Puzzles" specimen (a Pallimnarchus specimen we've been finding pieces of).

36 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Unsure what species it is, though. 

Thanks! Going out again today and hoping to find more of our "Puzzles" specimen (a Pallimnarchus specimen we've been finding pieces of).

Yes, good luck with that! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

• 6 months later...

Jump starting one of my favourite threads . I have been going through my collection mainly to supply my Secret Santa and come a cross this little but not spectacular  turtle bone collection . Various species from the Eocene, London Clay on the Isle of Sheppey Uk . Between 48-52 Myo  Isle of Sheppey has an amazing variety of fossils from Bird, croc, turtles ,crab, fish , starfish, snakes and more. Probably the best place in the world  for fossilised plant seeds. I do think London Clay is amazing .

54693805-938C-4C93-9A7B-9ED14DA806DE.jpeg

If your new to this thread I recommend you go to page one and start your tour of some very stunning fossil indeed .

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...

I'll revive this thread by tossing in a few more Pallimnarchus osteoderms:

received_485104085634357.jpeg

received_907815486236245.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice! That's one massive osteoderm. 

I'll contribute a recent turtle fossil from Monday-

I found this claw in South Dakota's Hell Creek formation and it most likely belongs to a trionychid as I found it among many bits of the dimpled softshell bits.

IMG_4311.JPG.b26fb5b159cbb1551f716ada967afe89.JPG

IMG_4309.jpg.bafbb72f305bab60e63c018ac0ed5255.jpg

On 8/24/2017 at 12:12 AM, Jesuslover340 said:

Thanks :) Only gator jaw material I have, but they're nice :) Best crocodylian jaw I have is that unknown one from Australia O.o (unless you also count the ones my husband found before we married).

Playing catch-up with you :P

Here's a rare beauty-an Alligator osteoderm from northwest OKLAHOMA (Pleistocene Pliocene):

received_1806692989357671.jpeg

Only one I've seen!

An occurrence of alligators in the Pleistocene of Oklahoma strikes me as unlikely but not impossible.  There were still alligators in Nebraska in the Late Miocene but they were rare.  Alligators can tolerate cooler temperatures than crocodiles.  Do you have locality data for that specimen?  We think of the Pleistocene as the ice Ages but during the interglacial intervals, it might have been warmer and wetter in that region than it is now.  If gar fossils are found at the site as well, it's possible.  It's a very interesting fossil.

Jess

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

An occurrence of alligators in the Pleistocene of Oklahoma strikes me as unlikely but not impossible.  There were still alligators in Nebraska in the Late Miocene but they were rare.  Alligators can tolerate cooler temperatures than crocodiles.  Do you have locality data for that specimen?  We think of the Pleistocene as the ice Ages but during the interglacial intervals, it might have been warmer and wetter in that region than it is now.  If gar fossils are found at the site as well, it's possible.  It's a very interesting fossil.

Jess

@siteseer I meant to put Pliocene for that-what page is it on? I'll see if I can ask a mod to change it appropriately. Alligators are known from the Pliocene of Oklahoma (there's a paper on it by Woodburne, 1959 I think?). And yes, locality info is recorded for this osteoderm. It comes from a site where Mastadon/mammoth have been found, as well as bison and a rather large turtle or tortoise. Seeming  (I cannot say for certain as it is not my expertise, but there are some oddly chipped rocks at the site) primitive stone tools and a fossil deer skull were also found (I got to handle the latter a bit). However, I do not think this locality has been under scientific review as yet given the distrust of the owner towards educational institutions that had priorly dealt with him poorly.

13 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

I'll see if I can ask a mod to change it appropriately.

Edited.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 28/07/2019 at 10:12 PM, digit said:

Edited.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks! Beat me before I could even get around to asking!

On 12/22/2016 at 11:06 AM, sseth said:

How about my little baby snapper form the Green River Formation.  One of my favorites.

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

SWEET! Did you find this one?

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

On 7/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, Jesuslover340 said:

@siteseer I meant to put Pliocene for that-what page is it on? I'll see if I can ask a mod to change it appropriately. Alligators are known from the Pliocene of Oklahoma (there's a paper on it by Woodburne, 1959 I think?). And yes, locality info is recorded for this osteoderm. It comes from a site where Mastadon/mammoth have been found, as well as bison and a rather large turtle or tortoise. Seeming  (I cannot say for certain as it is not my expertise, but there are some oddly chipped rocks at the site) primitive stone tools and a fossil deer skull were also found (I got to handle the latter a bit). However, I do not think this locality has been under scientific review as yet given the distrust of the owner towards educational institutions that had priorly dealt with him poorly.

I have read a little more about this topic.  It turns out, even today, there are alligators in Oklahoma.  However, I was unable to find a copy of Woodburne (1959).  I think that M.O. Woodburne is the same M.O. Woodburne who has been doing research regarding increasingly precise determinations of the ages of boundaries between epochs of the Cenozoic Era and well as the overlapping mammal ages.  If so, Woodburne (1959) was one of his first publications.

Something to keep in mind is the fact that the time boundaries of the Pliocene Epoch have been reconsidered since 1959.  At that time the Pliocene was the time between about 10 million years ago and about 2 million years ago.  In the 1970's geologists were working on determining how to best define the Pliocene and the Miocene-Pliocene boundary was moved to about 4.5 million years ago.  Not having read the Woodburne article, I don't know if that is relevant here.

Yeah, it sounds like the deposit is in need of review.  Mammoths appeared in North America around the beginning of the Pleistocene and Bison doesn't appear in North America until near the end which means there are likely at least two different faunas found there.  If we accept that primitive tools are found in the same deposit, we need to keep in mind that humans also don't appear in North America until the late Pleistocene.

6 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I have read a little more about this topic.  It turns out, even today, there are alligators in Oklahoma.  However, I was unable to find a copy of Woodburne (1959).  I think that M.O. Woodburne is the same M.O. Woodburne who has been doing research regarding increasingly precise determinations of the ages of boundaries between epochs of the Cenozoic Era and well as the overlapping mammal ages.  If so, Woodburne (1959) was one of his first publications.

Something to keep in mind is the fact that the time boundaries of the Pliocene Epoch have been reconsidered since 1959.  At that time the Pliocene was the time between about 10 million years ago and about 2 million years ago.  In the 1970's geologists were working on determining how to best define the Pliocene and the Miocene-Pliocene boundary was moved to about 4.5 million years ago.  Not having read the Woodburne article, I don't know if that is relevant here.

Yeah, it sounds like the deposit is in need of review.  Mammoths appeared in North America around the beginning of the Pleistocene and Bison doesn't appear in North America until near the end which means there are likely at least two different faunas found there.  If we accept that primitive tools are found in the same deposit, we need to keep in mind that humans also don't appear in North America until the late Pleistocene.

Nor have I, but I have seen the publication quoted in other publications as a reference. I've shown some professionals the 'artifacts'; some say they are artifacts, others say they're not. But it's not my area of expertise. Looking at geological maps of Oklahoma, however, does indicate the general area to be Pliocene in age.