Biz Vlogs

Abundance of marine fossils found in Colorado Springs

Biz Vlogs

I found this amazing deposit of fossils here in the Springs. They appear to be sea fossils from the Pennsylvanian, really cool!

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Your fossils may actually be from the Cretaceous, as the Pierre Shale is present in the area around Colorado Springs. - Ammonites didn't live in the Pennsylvanian period. ;) 

Your "wood" looking item looks to me like a geological feature, called a slickenside. They tend to look wood-like.  More Pictures HERE. 

Your clams/shells look like maybe some type of inoceramid clam

Regards, 

PFOOLEY

Yes, Cretaceous. :)

Canadawest

Its great that you are getting excited about fossils. Fossil hunting is a good healthy way  to spend a day.

Warning...it becomes an obsession.

PFOOLEY

Not that you asked...

P.novi.jpg

... :) .

Biz Vlogs
22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Your fossils may actually be from the Cretaceous, as the Pierre Shale is present in the area around Colorado Springs. - Ammonites didn't live in the Pennsylvanian period. ;) 

Your "wood" looking item looks to me like a geological feature, called a slickenside. They tend to look wood-like.  More Pictures HERE. 

Your clams/shells look like maybe some type of inoceramid clam

Regards, 

Cretaceous, huh? Cool. Thanks for the link.

I actually didn't know about slickenside formations! That makes a lot of sense considering all of the other wood-like stuff I found. And those inoceramid clams do look very similar to the other clams in the area.

I understand when they say fossil hunting is addicting. Clams are cool, but I want to keep finding more interesting things. Anyway, thanks for the information!

FossilDudeCO

Very nice finds.

Where were you hunting at?

I am not too far off, just in Centennial!

Ramo

Years ago I left a bag of goodies hidden beside the road somewhere between the Springs, and Florissant.  I don't know if someone ever found them, the highway department destroyed them, or if your winters eroded them.  A few people on here have threatened to go look for them, but to my knowledge no-one ever has.  That was years ago, so you'll have to look up where I hid them if you decide to go next spring.

FossilDudeCO
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:09 AM, Ramo said:

Years ago I left a bag of goodies hidden beside the road somewhere between the Springs, and Florissant.  I don't know if someone ever found them, the highway department destroyed them, or if your winters eroded them.  A few people on here have threatened to go look for them, but to my knowledge no-one ever has.  That was years ago, so you'll have to look up where I hid them if you decide to go next spring.

I went to look last summer, and again this summer, but sadly I did not find them, they could still be hiding though!