Calvert Cliffs Megalodon

SouthernMdRan

Work and life have been busy, so I haven't had a chance to post this before.

About six weeks ago I took a day off from work...It was going to be stupid warm that day for November (I think it got up to 80 that day)...and decided I wanted to go looking for teeth.  I couldn't go to my normal hunting spot that day (closed)...so decided to contact a friend of my wife and myself who lives in a community that has access to a beach on the bay, and off I went.

So I parked at her house, walked the couple hundred yards down the hill to the beach...and then walked a couple of miles along the water before I got to any areas with any exposed clay or otherwise had any potential.  Suddenly, I saw it...I couldn't believe it...walked right up to it...it was just laying there fully exposed saying 'pick me up'.  I took a very short video as I came up on it:

As you can see...the root is kind of chewed up...but otherwise...a pretty nice tooth.  Good serrations...tip in good shape too.

About 3 1/4 inches.  I've found one or two a bit larger over the years, but none had enamel that was in such good condition as this one.

It was the first tooth I found that day...and frankly, I should have just left at that point...despite another couple of miles of walking on the beach, I found nothing else of significance.  Oh well, I'm not complaining.

That's a great tooth.... its awesome when you walk up on one like that when it's in plain sight: ) congrats on a sweet tooth!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

A nice walk along the water to get your excersize and a nice wonderful little present to bring home.   How nice is that. 

RB

Awesome find and thanks for taking the video!

When something great is sitting out in the open like that is almost feels like a trap! It so fun how sometimes you find fossils half buried in frozen sand and can't believe you even noticed the tiny piece sticking out, to sitting clean and shiny with no a grain on sand on top of it. Congrats!

It's awesome to find em on the beach.  I've only found one on the beach and that was years ago.  Great tooth!  Thanks for sharing.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Well worth the trip!

I love in situ shots. They capture that moment of excitement when you spot a great specimen. A video is even better!

I would love to find my own Meg one day....

Archived