trisk

We're shopping for our first collecting tools and I noticed that brick hammers seem to be cheaper online and in shops than most masonry hammers. They have the same chisel end I think we would prefer.

Here's one from a local hardware store: http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/hammers/tool-shop-reg-20-oz-brick-hammer/p-1444421212559-c-9143.htm

I know they're meant for softer material but so are the cheaper masonry hammers I think? Any reason not to go for it?

Hi.  I think for softer rocks it would be ok though for harder rocks it's best to use a geological hammer.

Daniel

I know your question is about hammer quality, but when you mentioned getting a chisel end I thought I’d give my 2 cents worth regarding pick vs. chisel end.  For me it would depend on the type of rock you’re planning on splitting/digging into. The chisel end works fine for a fissile (easily split) shale, but for general purpose digging I prefer the pick ended hammer. I’ve owned both and have come across far fewer circumstances where I preferred the chisel to the pick. Just say’in.

• I found this Informative 3

Personally I carry one of each in my field kit.

When not using one, the other can be used in a variety of ways my favourite of which being a lever.

I will have to agree that for shales such as the Green River Formation my chisel is used more, but I also use the pick ended hammer for breaking it into smaller pieces and prying slabs.

Your hammer there in the link looks like a good choice, nice solid grips are IMPORTANT! 

That being said I will urge you to spend a bit more for an Estwing such as http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-20-oz-Solid-Steel-Bricklayer-with-Blue-Vinyl-Shock-Reduction-Grip-and-Patented-End-Cap-E3-20BLC/203075849?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools|&gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rj2umEbt2W5AruINi_GkEFlnIh1PkXmnMiCQ79woEJRoC0QHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It will be the only hammer you buy assuming you don't lose it!

I have had mine for over 5 years (very short time compared to other members!) It has been on 4 continents and just about every scenario I can think of as far as use. I have run them over, dropped them off cliffs, washed them down rivers, and hit every rock I come across. As far as quality you can't beat them.

A brick hammer is a mason hammer. Masons are brick layers. I also have both in my equipment arsenal. It all depends on what type of matrix I will have to be going into.  However, what ever type you choose to purchase, I would highly recommend one that the handle and head are one piece. The hammer will be much stronger than ones that the head can be replaced on. Especially if you use it to pry rock apart.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I used to have an estwing hammer. Great general tool for fossicking. I had one for years. I think it would be a good investment if you can afford one. It will be your best buddy in the field and used for breaking rocks, digging, and climbing hills, etc..... 

If not the mason/brick hammer is a good alternative if made from good steel with a solid handle.

I have a mason/brick hammer now as I do my hunting in another country and no estwings were available at the time. It's been a great alternative and I don't miss the pick where I hunt.

like others said the choice of tool depends on the locality/geology. Most of the time where I am I use my hammer as a lever to pry up wedged in concretions on the beach. So the chisel end is better with a broader surface. I wouldn't attempt to split the rock very often as it is so hard. If I do I use the hammer side or a mallet and chisel. 

Safety is is also a big issue. Make sure it is good solid steel that won't break and create shrapnel and always wear your safety goggles. Rock fragments can whiz past like bullets sometimes.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the tips, everyone. The interesting parts of the local cliff exposures we've been looking at are usually soft shale or mudstone, with some limestones.

• 2 months later...

An Estwing chisel tipped masonry hammer is only about $32 and will last a lifetime

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:52 AM, FossilGuy1024 said:

I know your question is about hammer quality, but when you mentioned getting a chisel end I thought I’d give my 2 cents worth regarding pick vs. chisel end.  For me it would depend on the type of rock you’re planning on splitting/digging into. The chisel end works fine for a fissile (easily split) shale, but for general purpose digging I prefer the pick ended hammer. I’ve owned both and have come across far fewer circumstances where I preferred the chisel to the pick. Just say’in.

And for people who can't make up their minds which one they want, they've always got this choice: Estwing Chipping Hammer

ESTW-E3-WC_1.jpg

My Estwing geological hammer with pick end is the best and most important tool I own for fossil hunting. I don't just use it for extracting fossils, I use it to balance myself when walking on boulders (it is an excellent counterweight). It is also great for climbing up mud banks on steep-walled creeks. I got stuck the other day and used it like an icepick to get out. It is also good for defending yourself against unreasonable wild animals, such as boars, snakes, and Tasmanian devils.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, TNCollector said:

My Estwing geological hammer with pick end is the best and most important tool I own for fossil hunting. I don't just use it for extracting fossils, I use it to balance myself when walking on boulders (it is an excellent counterweight). It is also great for climbing up mud banks on steep-walled creeks. I got stuck the other day and used it like an icepick to get out. It is also good for defending yourself against unreasonable wild animals, such as boars, snakes, and Tasmanian devils.

Yup. Same with me. My extra long Estwing pick hammer is my lifelong companion. It's not only good for the above functions, but also produces an amazing amount of clout and precision depending on the job at hand.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 3 weeks later...

I personally prefer to leave the hammer part behind and just bring a mason. They usually have their own tools and you can hire them pretty cheaply outside most 7/11 stores in the USA. They can split more rock in a day than I can in a week. Be careful that you don't hire a plumber by accident though. They cost much more and are useless in the quarries. You can tell the difference by looking for telltale cracks. 

Bricks (not hammers) are pretty bad at breaking rock. They also crack too easily. Just my $.02.

• I found this Informative 1