Baby Orthocones?, orthoceras, belemnites?

dalmayshun

Each summer I collect near Newberry in the U.P. of michigan from a degrading hillside. I usually find nodules containing graptolites, various "shell" type impressions from brachipods, and trilobite impressions. Generally the nodules I crack open are not more than 3 " . This summer, a large piece of shale was sticking out of the bank, so I dug it out and split it. It had several orthocone fossils and impressions, ( though I don't know what kind) and was filled with impressions of little cone like images. That is a dime for reference, and you should be able to clearly see the cone impressions, are these baby orthocones, a small species or belamites of some kind.  As always, thanks for the help.  According to the director of the museum in Quebec, the area is ordovician, but some suggest it is silurian. 

shale-with-orthocones.jpg

Interesting piece. Any chance you can take a clearer picture in an area with more light? It would be good to make out some of the detail here.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Possibly Dacryoconarids?

Tentaculites, Styliolina, etc. ?

Styolina.jpg   

Plate from Linsley's Devonian Paleontology of New York. 

Linsley_1994.pdf

Regards,

Linsley_1994.pdf

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Kane requested a better photo, so I tried. On this I also outlined some of the larger orthocones, or whatever they are..there is also a circular impression with some detail, that might be a trilobite part, but I haven't as yet looked at it under a magnifier...in the one small orthocone impression, in the lower right third of the piece, one can also see part of the animal itself, besides the impression. Many of my pieces from this area contain the flattened remains of the creature...I love the area I go to, because the hill is degrading, each time I go a whole new world is exposed. It is wonderful. Thanks for your help, I plan to research tentaculites and dacrynoconarids...thanks for the info. 

shale-marked.jpg

The item listed as unknown looks like a broken/worn orthocone, showing the siphuncle in the middle. 

the other, rounded/oval item looks a bit like a singular valve of a phyllocarid, maybe. 

Pictures are still too fuzzy to make out much detail. :( 

shale-marked.jpg.1bb734cb907cde83cc8477643006874d.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've learned a little about Tentaculites, saw that they range in size from 5 mm through 20 mm. I have to say, the image marked 16 in the plate above, matches many of my other fossils from the area...most of which are 10 - 15 mm in size with that prominent indentation running down the middle. I've included an image with several broken nodules showing other coneline sections...sorry for the lack of measurement on these, but most are about 1-2". The other image I have included just for fun, is the nice trilobite nodule. I believe it is a psedogygites section. 

typical-sections.jpg

trilobite-impression-with-p.jpg

Thanks Tim, yes, I am taking the photos with my phone, but I don't have a stand for it, so it is handheld...I guess I have to buy one of the stands, so it doesn't move when I voice command the phone to take the photo. Thanks for your info. 

That certainly does look like a Pseudogygites pygidium, which would put your finds in the middle to upper Ordovician if they all come from the same site and stratigraphic formation.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived