Eagle Ford Holiday Fossil Trio - Ammonite Help

LSCHNELLE

I fossil hunted the lower limestone flag member of middle Eagle Ford Formation in Travis County, Texas USA yesterday. I came up with three nice finds.  The first is a 130 mm x 75 mm section of a large ~2' diameter ammonite. Two pics included but it is difficult to make out.  I think it is an EUOMPHALOCERAS genus, based on GEOLOGICAL SURVEY PROFESSIONAL PAPER 274-C 1955. Any different opinions?  The second find is a 15 mm wide Ptychodus Occidentalis per Shawn Hamm's recent email help for me on a couple of 10 mm wide Ptychodus out of 8 total located ~1/2 mile NE from the subject area. Check out last two ptychodus pics in question. He says ridge bifurcation doesn't always occur on P. Occidentalis. Sometimes the ridges extend to the marginal area and curve anteriorly without bifurcation on one or both sides. The third is a shark vertebrate?? The largest I have seen in Travis County at 33 mm diameter. All three were present in the same 20' x 20' area in a 2" thick layer of limey mud rock coated top & bottom with thinner layers of oyster shell hash. Wow!  Lots of fun! 

20161223_130743.jpg

20161223_123216.jpg

20161223_114955.jpg

20161223_114802.jpg

20161223_114715.jpg

20161222_172152.jpg

20161223_114835.jpg

20161223_114907.jpg

20161222_165450.jpg

20161220_110726.jpg

20161220_111151.jpg

20161220_113336.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice teeth!

The Terra Vista site in Round Rock would give up the spines of those big ammonites, but not much more.  I would have to go thru my notes to see what I identified my stuff as.  Yopu should come by one day and take a look at my Eagle Ford material to see what matches your finds.

Okay. We should get together.  BTW. They plan a new housing development in the Kef at this site.  So,  maybe better exposures in the near future during raw housing development work.  If you or someone you know is interested, I would not mind hunting together. 

• 4 years later...
On 12/23/2016 at 2:27 PM, erose said:

The Terra Vista site in Round Roc

That site got covered up by development of the neighborhood and golf course didn't it? Are the any exposures left?

Edited by Jared C

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I missed out on it when the Golf Club and neighborhood was being developed. I wasn't in the Paleontological Society of Austin when they hunted it. You might be interested in joining it.  We are doing Zoom meetings now. Instead, I went out to the area near NW corner of Grimes and University when the ground breaking for the commercial development was ongoing.  It wasn't productive for fossils.  It looked like South Bosque Member shales. 

2 minutes ago, LSCHNELLE said:

I missed out on it when the Golf Club and neighborhood was being developed. I wasn't in the Paleontological Society of Austin when they hunted it. You might be interested in joining it.  We are doing Zoom meetings now. Instead, I went out to the area near NW corner of Grimes and University when the ground breaking for the commercial development was ongoing.  It wasn't productive for fossils.  It looked like South Bosque Member shales. 

Ah, thank you. Also I certainly would like to join, however I have a strange work schedule, where I work only in the evenings every weekday, so I can't make it to the Tuesday meetings unfortunately 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

There was another residential development in South Austin in the Eagle Ford that I was able to hunt. It is now covered up by streets, houses, and yards.  Not a lot of vert material, but some nice ammonites! 

• I found this Informative 1

The Eagle Ford here around Austin tends to be soft and break down quickly. Those developments were crucial to being able to collect it. Knowing where it is mapped and keeping an eye open for new construction is the key. 

Hey we have many members who never attend meetings.  But they come to fieldtrips or would show up for Fossil Fest. 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, erose said:

Hey we have many members who never attend meetings.  But they come to fieldtrips or would show up for Fossil Fest. 

Thanks Erich, I never thought of that, that certainly changes things. Perhaps you'll have a new member soon!