Bone Daddy

Peace River trip to Sloth Island

Bone Daddy

Here is a shot of "Sloth Island", the second spot further downstream.

12-22-7.jpg

Bone Daddy

A look downstream, standing on the little island.

12-22-8.jpg

Bone Daddy

Surprisingly, there wasn't anything laying on this island, other than just a couple of turtle scutes.

12-22-6.jpg

Bone Daddy

Here is a look at our meager haul - aside from the sloth vert, it's nothing to write home about. Josh found all of the small megs and fragolodons. He is by far, the fourth best amateur paleontologist I know.  LOL. ;)

swag-1.jpg

Bone Daddy

A couple shots of the sloth vert.

weird-bone-1.jpg

weird-bone-2.jpg

weird-bone-3.jpg

Bone Daddy

Here is a photo of it with some size/scale reference.

vert-12-22.jpg

Fossildude19

Excellent report! 

The stuff memories are made of. :D 

Thanks for the ride along. 

Regards,

Kdeus

I really enjoyed reading about your adventure! Thank you for the paddle-along :)

CBOB

Sounds like another great day on the Peace!  I hit the Peace Monday and camped over til Tuesday.  Now getting to go back for the day tomorrow, xmas eve.  It will be a yule tide fossil adventure.  Nice sloth vert too!

ynot

Congratulations on the first!

Nice vertual trip, thanks for the tour.

Tony

FossilDudeCO

thanks for bringing us along, great report and sounds like a great day!

Especially to those of us trapped in the snow covered lands!

Bone Daddy

I always enjoy a day out on the river, whether I find anything good or not. Fossil hunting, rockhounding, and meteorite hunting all have one thing in common - spending time in the outdoors. A day spent doing any of those things poorly is better than a day spent doing most other things well - if that makes sense. It's an excuse to go hiking or kayaking, which I love to do anyway - finding cool stuff is just an added bonus. 

I was feeling like crud the night before and felt even worse the next morning and I considered backing out of the trip, but I had been badgering Josh for weeks to go, so I didn't want to back out at the last minute and be a spoil sport. Once I got out there and filled my lungs with fresh air, I felt better and was glad I went..... until I exhausted myself on the trip back upriver and then I started questioning my decision again. Finding that sloth vert made it all worth while. Even though the vert is in poor condition, it represents an animal that I have barely found anything from yet. I did find a piece of sloth claw last season, but it disintegrated on me before I could get it home and stabilize it. 

I think that large gator may live in that area we passed through. Last season when we scouted that area for the first time, we saw a big gator in the same area. Of course, it may not be the same beast, but that is two trips out of two that we spotted a big one on that same stretch.  It's likely just a gator-friendly stretch because that part of the river is littered with many fallen trees in the water. It seems like more fallen trees than I usually see on other stretches. Josh remarked to me that it seemed like a hurricane went through the area and that is a good way to describe it. It was like running an obstacle course to kayak through it. 

The rest of my finds are drying out. There are a couple more pieces in there that merit a closer look. I am thankful that Josh is so picky with his meg teeth - he just gives me the small ones that are not "good enough" for his collection.  All of the meg teeth in that photo were found by him. When we first started hunting, I was getting all the meg luck and I found several before he found his first one. Since then, the tables have turned and he finds them in bunches while I only find frags.

Darktooth

Great report, and I love the pics! The area looks like something out of "The land that time forgot".

Bone Daddy
26 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Great report, and I love the pics! The area looks like something out of "The land that time forgot".

I really like that particular stretch of river. It's very clean with very little trash. It's quite easy to forget that one is in modern times. It is easy to imagine that it must have looked this same way when the first explorers paddled those waters centuries ago. By comparison, some stretches of the river like Gardner are packed with people, noisy motor boats, and floating trash - still good for fossil hunting, but it doesn't have the same peaceful serenity.

Coco

Hi,

I adored reading your adventure! I have the impression that there is another Indiana Jones !

Coco

Cluros

Thank you for a very descriptive report. Too many times I have left a find behind and later regretted the decision. Good luck on future hunts.

jcbshark

Nice finds, congrats:)

Bone Daddy

I got some fossil hunting gear for Xmas, so now I need to get out there and break it in. New sifters, gravel scoop, heavy duty swag bag, and a generator for boondocking. :)

fossil-gear.jpg

Brett Breakin' Rocks
6 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

I got some fossil hunting gear for Xmas, so now I need to get out there and break it in. New sifters, gravel scoop, heavy duty swag bag, and a generator for boondocking. :)

fossil-gear.jpg

OooooooooooooooooOooo oooOoooooooo .......... that looks like an awesome Santa you have there !!

:envy:

Plantguy

Thanks for the report. Looks like you are prepped for more fun. Congrats.

Have fun and dont mess with the gators unless they are fossilized!

Regards, Chris 

Vieira

I loved your report. It's like i was there :D

Thanks and congratulations for a nice hunting day.

Best regards

Filipe