Cretaceous Belgium

Indagator

Hello all,

I would like to share some of my finds of the Belgium quarry Romontbos. As it will be the last year for amateurs to get permission to enter the quarry; i wanted to visit the quarry as often as i was allowed. I'm quite happy with all of my trips of a total of six. Though the most interesting finds i did in December during my last three visits. In these weeks i was lucky to spot a dactyl that i haven't been able to identify yet (very interesting looking one) and a piece of bone that was cut trough by the excavator. I will share the pictures of the dactyl later as i keep postponing taking quality pictures of all my Crustacea finds. Then i can elaborate on the scientific names and other "smaller" finds such as bryozoans and foraminifera. Suggestions on scientific names of unidentified finds (or even the identified ones) are of course welcome. 

I wish all of you a merry Christmas and a fossil rich 2017!

Regards,

Arno

CIMG2593.JPG

CIMG2595.JPG

CIMG2596.JPG

Interesting, but unfortunately I can't offer any suggestion about the ID.

Why is this the last year collectors will be allowed in the quarry?

Don

Hey all,

Because of the Holidays i didn't have time to post more of the finds. I forgot to mention that these are all late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) finds. The first and second picture are of the unidentified dactyl. The third picture is a Neithea (neithea) Regularis not the most spectacular find but i do like the color on it. 

CIMG2607.JPG

CIMG2606.JPG

CIMG2601.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

On 24-12-2016 at 2:37 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Interesting, but unfortunately I can't offer any suggestion about the ID.

Why is this the last year collectors will be allowed in the quarry?

Don

I don't know the full story but i think it is because there were to many people asking for a permit. Other quarries of the same company are still accessible such as the ENCI. 

Some more Crustacea finds: two claws (one partial sadly...). The first claw is probably of Paranecrocarcinus (Pseudonecrocarcinus) quadriscissus though with a little question mark. The partial claw is most likely one is part of a Schlueteria? heterodon. 

CIMG2631.JPGCIMG2626.JPGCIMG2622.JPG

The claw in the first picture was also identified as a Paranecrocarcinus (Pseudonecrocarcinus) quadriscissus by a friend of mine. the second picture contains the head of the same species. 

CIMG2637.JPG

CIMG2640.JPG

This is the head of a Binkhorstia ubaghsii. I don't know what the circulated piece is but i think it might be a scaphocerite?

CIMG2651.JPG

CIMG2651 - Copy.JPG

Nice finds ! Looks like a great location.

Maybe next year i can visit Maastricht and search there ...

Shadefully i cant help to Id this finds but i am sure someone can !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif