Fossil sand dollar?

autographcollector11

Hi all 

OK, this is an interesting one. Attached are images of the Sandollar that was found on the California coast. It is broken, but I'm curious if it is fossilized.It is extremely hard, and feels like stone. I have many Sandollar's that are extremely fragile, however this one is heavy, lacks all the brittleness that one would find in a newer Sandollar. What are the signs to look for if fossilized?  I took the best pictures that I could, hope they will work. 

thx

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm not an expert on these, and I've never been to California, but I think you just described how to determine modern from fossil quite well. 

It is Dendraster excentricus. The food grooves on your specimen are dark. Most of my modern specimens have dark food grooves which I think might be due to organic remains. That makes me think yours is modern.

• I found this Informative 2

I have found hundreds of the fossilized Scuttelasters and a few of the Dendrasters in years past, and that one looks very modern to me. 

RB

I don't think it's fossilized, because if so, it wouldn't be empty.

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Just how heavy and how hard is it ? Wouldn't the answer outweigh what the appearance suggests ? 

Fossil sand dollars can be quite hollow. 

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

OK with Dendraster excentricus, and OK for recent specimen. Good observation Fifbrindacier !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 24 décembre 2016 at 5:34 PM, Coco said:

Hi,

OK with Dendraster excentricus, and OK for recent specimen. Good observation Fifbrindacier !

Coco

Merci beaucoup Madame.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Yes, it looks modern, indeed.However, that's a really interesting specimen, that you can use to study  fossil clypeasteroids' morphology.

Regards,