Peace River Teeth!!

autographcollector11

Greetings,

found these on the peace river.  I suspect some may be horse? What about the smaller ones? 

The coin shown is a us penny.

the top view is for the last 3 on the right by the way....

thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Possibly better pictures will help, but also keep in mind that many of the TFF experts are enjoying holiday festivities with family and friends, as they should be. delaying a response.

Here is a Peace River horse tooth,  a lower jaw M3 much like yours.M3_horse1_082.jpgM3_horse3_086.jpg

Note that this 2nd photo shows the chewing surface directly, which is the more useful angle to identify a fossil tooth,

From your 1st photo, I think that the 1st,2nd,and 4th are horse (EQUUS sp.) the 3rd one is likely a fragment of camel_llama or bison.  I can not tell on the last tooth.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Possibly better pictures will help, but also keep in mind that many of the TFF experts are enjoying holiday festivities with family and friends, as they should be. delaying a response.

Here is a Peace River horse tooth,  a lower jaw M3 much like yours.M3_horse3_086.jpg

Note that this 2nd photo shows the chewing surface directly, which is the more useful angle to identify a fossil tooth,

From your 1st photo, I think that the 1st,2nd,and 4th are horse (EQUUS sp.) the 3rd one is likely a fragment of camel_llama or bison.  I can not tell on the last tooth.

I could only guess at the last three of Autographcollector's fragments, but the first two do appear to be equus teeth.  I am pretty confident that Jack's tooth is a right p2, not an m3.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I could only guess at the last three of Autographcollector's fragments, but the first two do appear to be equus teeth.  I am pretty confident that Jack's tooth is a right p2, not an m3.

Could last three unknown pieces be extremely river-tumbled broken fragments of the same types of teeth (equus in this case) or perhaps different mammals of roughly comparable teeth sizes (camel, horse, bison, etc?) I find a lot of little smooth rounded pieces like that with trace remnants of a former layered texture. I think some might be tumbled teeth frags, some might be tumbled antler frags, some might be tumble shattered dugong rib pieces, etc. All of them mineralized and rather similar in look in now that they have been put in Mother Nature's rock tumbler for thousands of years (the Peace). Sometimes I get lucky and find a small sliver of ivory, but most of them I just leave behind now.

18 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Harry, Found this tooth back in February 2012 and (incorrectly) labeled as a lower left m3 rather than p2. While I have no doubt on the accuracy of your ID, how do you differentiate the two 2 teeth?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

49 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Harry, Found this tooth back in February 2012 and (incorrectly) labeled as a lower left m3 rather than p2. While I have no doubt on the accuracy of your ID, how do you differentiate the two 2 teeth?

I made myself a 'crib-sheet' based on line-drawings in Hulbert's book. Then I used it to identify scores of horse teeth.  It turned out that the upper P2, missing from the drawing, is relatively easy to identify, while the illustrated M1 and M2 can be difficult to distinguish.

horse_equus_linedrawing.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest