Xmas eve, in the UK, indoors, in the warm.

DE&i

…..One of many match boxes passed onto me by one of the longest serving members of the Stamford and District Geological Society. With the promise of giving the fossils (which are encased inside) some much needed TLC. The majority of these housed match box fossils were collected in the mid-1980s. A brief scribble on the box or a very small moth eaten note is supplied with the contents, with very little other information attached. But for me that’s where the fun begins.

As you push the somewhat tatty draws of the match boxes open, a story to research unfolds. With the British Palaeozoic, Mesozoic and Caenozoic books to hand I begin.

These are clearly Brachiopods with a penned clue “Filey Brigg “but why, when and how have they come to be!

Fossil matchbox draw.jpg

fossils in matchboxes 1a.jpg

fossils in matchboxes 1b.jpg

fossils in matchboxes 1c.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Nice fossils. 

10 of us were on a hike today.  Four of the 10 are ex pat Brits. Another two of us have British mothers.

Needless to say a lot of the conversation revolved around childhood Christmas and traditions in the UK. I wish I had brought a box of  Briish Christmas 'crackers' with us. We would have all been wearing those silly hats in the forest.  

I also posted this information on one of your gallery images. 

Your brachiopods from Filey Brigg are a good match with: Thurmanella acuticosta

IMG1.jpg

Childs, A. (1969)
Upper Jurassic rhynchonellid brachiopods from northwestern Europe.
British Museum Natural History, Supplement 6:1-119 LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you @Fruitbat I've dipped into the draw again.

Thank you @Canadawest I bet it was really nice for those reminiscing. Not forgetting the added joke you get inside with each cracker. Joke : " What do Santas little helpers learn at school " -- " The elf-abet ".

Thank you @piranha I just knew I could count on your contribution. The PDF is fantastic.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers