3D Crinoid head from Ontario, Canada

britishcanuk

I found this 3D crinoid head at Rock Glen Gorge in Ontario several years ago. Anyone know what genera or even what species it was?

Cheers, and merry Christmas!

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

Scyphocrinus sp. would be a guess since they were extant in Devonian.The primary diagnostic features are the stellate ridges on the calyx and the branching of the rays/arms. This is an exceptionally beautifully preserved specimen.

Pictured is a common S. elegans from Morocco: 1318066365_3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

22 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

I found this 3D crinoid head at Rock Glen Gorge in Ontario several years ago. Anyone know what genera or even what species it was?

Cheers, and merry Christmas!

That's a Gennaeocrinus mourantae. I'm curious to know if you collected the specimen in the gorge or the exposure adjacent to the gorge at the river?

I'll copy and paste my post from "The Fossils of Arkona, Ontario" Facebook Group below...

"The Camerate crinoid Gennaeocrinus mourantae from the Arkona Fm.. Some might find the first photo of interest. I'm unable to determine with certainty which ray this is but note how the inner arm has been broken; two arms have regenerated in its place. I believe this might be an instance of augmentative regeneration. All photos are of the same specimen.

On an historical note, for those interested, the Gennaeocrinus mourantae was described in 1934 by Dr. Winifred Goldring on a specimen collected by Ann Mourant. Ann was the wife of prominent amatuer collector Charles Southworth."

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Best regards,

Darrell

• I found this Informative 6

Great info here, thanks for your comments everyone. Darrell, that's a beauty. Sure looks like mine, I appreciate your insight. Also, thanks for the link to the Facebook group, I wasn't aware of it, but have just joined.

Happy Holidays everyone!