Informative

Rockwood

By clicking the informative button in identification threads does one only indicate "That's a fact" or can it also be used to say "Interesting, I didn't know that" ? 

I generally use it as "This is interesting and might be worth looking at. I didn't know this or someone else might not know this".

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree with Olof,  - that's pretty much how I use it. I also use it as a form of agreement. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ditto to what Olaf and Tim said, but I also use it to show appreciation of a good fossil or a good post.

Sometimes I think I do not use it enough.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I usually use it at face value. When I use the informative button, I intend to let that person know they were informative to me, not to let other people see I liked that person's post. If there are differing opinions on an ID post, I would refrain from using the informative button to cast my vote, because facts are facts, and I believe the number of people agreeing on an ID shouldn't affect our judgement of whether it is correct or not. Many people vote at elections without understanding each candidate's views and the potential impacts these candidates may bring, so I won't think a politician must be the best for my country just because he wins an election by having the most votes. The clicking of a button on an internet forum is a much more causal act than voting, thus I wouldn't view the informative number on a post as a better indicator for truth than election results. If I want to figure out which ID to believe in, I would look at the basis of each ID, and what other information I can find out given what they have said.

If, when reading an ID topic with differing opinions, I have more information to contribute to support a certain ID, I would post that as a comment. If not, I don't see why I need to show that I agree with one ID without adding anything to the argument, because if I am wrong about the ID, then my clicking on the informative button may misled judgement. That said, if something is pointed out in a comment that seems to be overlooked by other people (which I guess would also fall under "this is informative"), or in the rare event, if many people believe it is one ID but I am very confident that I know enough to assert otherwise, but I also have nothing to add on top of the existing comment, then I would use the informative button to indicate "that's a fact", but mostly to show appreciation and support to the person who posted the comment.

However, if it is an easy ID post with few comments and no differing opinions, especially if it is a new member who initiates it, then I'd like to comment even if I can't add anything, or click the informative button on an existing ID, just so they feel more assured and not that people are ignoring their question.

I will sometimes hit it as well when I make new threads and receive replies from people to let them know that they have answered my question.

What an interesting question.  I use the "INFORMATIVE" button in a rather literal manner.  Does the post contain reliable facts?  Even better, does the post contain supporting photographic or quotation or citation evidence?  Does the post illuminate some paleontological area for me or for the at-large readership?  If so, I am likely to click the button.

I do not use the "INFORMATIVE" button to reassure newbies that they are not being ignored.  I do not use the button as a "LIKE" button to approve of an opinion or a good image or a rare fossil.  It seems to me that these uses would diminish the purpose (as I understand it) of the "I" button -- to encourage information-rich posts.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Maybe there should be a "like" choice to go along with the "informative" so there can be a differentiation between a good fossil/story post and a good informative post.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I always thought it was meant to give credit to a person for going to the bother of providing additional information beyond what was already posted. I learn so much from members little pieces of information that were never asked for but help to teach us more about a fossil or related topic.

17 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

What an interesting question.  I use the "INFORMATIVE" button in a rather literal manner.  Does the post contain reliable facts?  Even better, does the post contain supporting photographic or quotation or citation evidence?  Does the post illuminate some paleontological area for me or for the at-large readership?  If so, I am likely to click the button.

I do not use the "INFORMATIVE" button to reassure newbies that they are not being ignored.  I do not use the button as a "LIKE" button to approve of an opinion or a good image or a rare fossil.  It seems to me that these uses would diminish the purpose (as I understand it) of the "I" button -- to encourage information-rich posts.

I'm with Harry on this, but that may show my bias towards using this Forum as a means to expand my knowledge of the science and art of Paleontology and not as much as a social function.....not that i'm not fond of all y'all!  

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

When loggers start a harvest the first machine they bring in is an excavator to dig two ditches. The pile between them becomes the road.

Archived