Late Triassic ammonite from Guizhou, China

atcg01

Here are two plates from Guizhou province. They should be Protrachyceras sp. ammonites from late Triassic. 

First one:

810eaa39ly1fb4ex7juqaj21va2sq7wi0.jpg

Second front:

810eaa39ly1fb4ex4kaf1j22713361kz0.jpg

Second back:

810eaa39ly1fb4ex67gydj227132hx6q0.jpg

Edited by atcg01

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Nice ammonites - thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim, I'm a rookie both to fossil collection and the forum. Hope to learn more knowledge and experience here and very happy to share the local fossils for reference. 

Cheers,

Feng

Yeah, there're so many of them on the back side. I'm trying to learn how to prep fossils on youtube and hope one day can dig them out :) . The matrix sandstone is not too hard anyway.

4 hours ago, atcg01 said:

Yeah, there're so many of them on the back side. I'm trying to learn how to prep fossils on youtube and hope one day can dig them out :) . The matrix sandstone is not too hard anyway.

You could start with some small picks, or even sewing needles if the rock is not hard. I like sewing needles because they can get into small places, and it is very difficult to damage a fossil with them, when you use too much force on the wrong spot :trex:

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, sdsnl said:

You could start with some small picks, or even sewing needles if the rock is not hard. I like sewing needles because they can get into small places, and it is very difficult to damage a fossil with them, when you use too much force on the wrong spot :trex:

Many thanks for the advice. I'll get a sewing needle from my mom and start the practice this weekend :D.

I have never seen these before. Great pics!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Welcome to the forum Feng!

I like your ammonoids! Very interesting. Any clue how old they are exactly? Ladinian or Carnian? Years ago I was in contact with a guy who worked for a season in the Triassic Wayao Member of the Falang Formation in the Guizhou Province. Today I think it is named Xiaowa Formation. Yours are Protrachyceras sp. or Neoprotrachyceras sp. That depends on the exact age.

Are there other species of ammonoids on these plates too?

regards Andreas

• I found this Informative 1