Fish ID: "Yangaiïchthys"???

Max-fossils

Hello everyone!

I got this pretty cool fish for X-Mas, and even though it looks great displayed on my shelf, it does confuse me a lot.

The second picture shows the info given by the seller. I bought it in a small shop in Veere, Zeeland (NL), and the Rhynchodercetis from my avatar comes from this shop too. The info is in Dutch, and it translates to: 

Fossil fish: Yangaiïchthys 

River: the Yangay, China

Eocene: +/- 50 mya

Now the confusing part is, the name Yangaiïchthys doesn't give any results in the images. That's when I started to stress a bit, because it is a Chinese fossil and those are often fakes (just like Moroccan ones such as my mosasaur jaw). The seller tells me it's most probably real, but surely retouched a bit. So did the Chinese make up a new species, and give it to the jolly old man holding that puny shop in Veere?

Anyways I would like your thoughts on it: what species it is, is it fake, etc...

Best regards,

Max

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Here is the info card (I cropped out the name of the shop):

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

It's real - it is actually a Jianghanichthys. :)

I have one in my gallery that is heavily "restored" (Outlined with paint) 

Your's doesn't look bad at all, though. Maybe they used some ink to color the fish a bit. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

54 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It's real - it is actually a Jianghanichthys. :)

I have one in my gallery that is heavily "restored" (Outlined with paint) 

Your's doesn't look bad at all, though. Maybe they used some ink to color the fish a bit. ;) 

Regards,

Well, that's a relief! Thanks so much!

Do you know the species it is though?

By the way, yours looks great, you know? It doesn't look heavily restored.

Anyways thanks again and best regards,

Max

Max Derème

On 12/26/2016 at 0:42 PM, Max-fossils said:

Do you know the species it is though?

By the way, yours looks great, you know? It doesn't look heavily restored.

Max

I believe the species is J. hubeiensis

Apparently they are very common in Hubei, China.

They are also called Osteochilus

See these PDFs :  LINK 1         LINK 2

Hope that helps. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The original author Lei 1977 assigned it to the extant genus Osteochilus.

Here is the most recent paper redescribing Jianghanichthys hubeiensis:

Liu, J., Chang, M.M., Wilson, M.V., & Murray, A.M. (2015)

A new family of Cypriniformes (Teleostei, Ostariophysi) based on a redescription of †Jianghanichthys hubeiensis (Lei, 1977) from the Eocene Yangxi Formation of China.

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 35(6):1-23  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The species of Hubei, China is Jianghanichthys hubeiensis, hence the name.

SYSTEMATIC PALEONTOLOGY

Subdivision TELEOSTEI Muller, 1845
Superorder OSTARIOPHYSI Sagemehl, 1885
Order CYPRINIFORMES Bleeker, 1859/60
Family JIANGHANICHTHYIDAE, fam. nov.
Type Genus—Jianghanichthys Lei, 1987.
Diagnosis—Same as that for the only known genus and species.

JIANGHANICHTHYS HUBEIENSIS (Lei, 1977)

Osteochilus hubeiensis Lei, 1977:134, pl. 49, figs. 3–4 (original description).
Jianghanichthys hubeiensis (Lei, 1977): Lei, 1987:191 (new combination).

Figure 3.jpg

" The fossil cypriniform fish Jianghanichthys hubeiensis from Eocene mudstones in Songzi, Hubei, China, was originally assigned to the extant cyprinid genus Osteochilus, then later to the new genus Jianghanichthys by its original author, but with its familial status uncertain. Other authors subsequently assigned it to the cypriniform family Catostomidae.
A detailed comparison of osteological characters shows that Jianghanichthys is distinguished from all other cypriniforms by having
(1) first principal anal fin ray branched;
(2) supraorbital sensory canal largely exposed in frontal but roofed by longitudinal flange;
(3) supraorbital sensory canal meeting the temporal sensory canal within the parietal; (4) maxilla bearing three dorsal processes;
(5) dorsal surface of anterior end of dentary triangular and broad; and
(6) the first centrum of Jianghanichthys has a similar size and prominent posterior concavity to the second centrum.
A computed tomography (CT) scan of a matrix-covered skull confirmed these unique characters, as well as that the pharyngeal teeth are either absent or not well formed. A series of phylogenetic analyses, using parsimony criteria and morphological characters, consistently recovers Jianghanichthys in a polytomy with the non-loach cypriniform families, but it could not be placed within any recent family.
Among osteological characters, few unique synapomorphies are shared by Jianghanichthys and recent families of Cypriniformes, whereas a large number of symplesiomorphies with the Catostomidae, Cyprinidae, and Gyrinocheilidae were found, indicating that Jianghanichthys is a stem taxon of Cypriniformes. Therefore, the first family of Cypriniformes known only from fossils, Jianghanichthyidae, is erected to contain this Eocene cypriniform fish. "

excerpts from Juan Liu, Mee-Mann Chang, Mark V. H. Wilson, and Alison M. Murray. A New Family of Cypriniformes (Teleostei, Ostariophysi) Based on a Redescription of †Jianghanichthys hubeiensis (Lei, 1977) from the Eocene Yangxi Formation of China. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology Nov 2015 : Vol. 35, Issue 6, e1004073 doi:10.1080/02724634.2015.1004073

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Fossildude19, @piranha and @abyssunder,

Thanks a lot for all the info!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Archived