dinodigger

Hey gang, quick post from the field. currently working on a few complete dimetrodon skeletons and found this beautiful pre canine. shed tooth with very nice serrations, growth rings, and feeding wear. he did some chewing...

20161226_143543.jpg

20161226_143353.jpg

Incredible find, Chris!

Thanks for the update. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great find!

Such sweet, sweet serrations on that tooth. Any idea of the species?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

11 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Great find!

Such sweet, sweet serrations on that tooth. Any idea of the species?

Hey Andy,

This tooth is pretty slender with fine serrations- D. loomisi has this feature. Some of the bigger, more advanced ddons have very robust teeth with a bit coarser serrations. 

Wow what a tooth! congrats. 

Maybe you already mentioned it in another post but I was reading in some 2014 article tonight that said these guys actually ate sharks occasionally. Is there any evidence of that with the specimens you all working with there?

Regards, Chris  

44 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Wow what a tooth! congrats. 

Maybe you already mentioned it in another post but I was reading in some 2014 article tonight that said these guys actually ate sharks occasionally. Is there any evidence of that with the specimens you all working with there?

Regards, Chris  

Hey Chris, yes! We have an abundance of the fresh water shark, orthacanthus and ABUNDANT evidence of shark bites on dimetrodon bones. Also have a lot of shark cartilage that has been munched by ddons, and occasionally we'll get a chunk with a dimetrodon tooth jabbed in neatly. The research site is a fascinating story- an oxbow lake that survived as a habitable ecosystem for probably a few thousand years. Many many many layers deposited season after season. Some years the water was good, with abundant sharks and other years much drier, and sharks were few. As the water became too shallow we see sharks stranded and ripe for the taking by big bull dimetrodons. One good shark will feed a dimetrodon for a few months. 

Chris 

9 hours ago, dinodigger said:

Hey Chris, yes! We have an abundance of the fresh water shark, orthacanthus and ABUNDANT evidence of shark bites on dimetrodon bones. Also have a lot of shark cartilage that has been munched by ddons, and occasionally we'll get a chunk with a dimetrodon tooth jabbed in neatly. The research site is a fascinating story- an oxbow lake that survived as a habitable ecosystem for probably a few thousand years. Many many many layers deposited season after season. Some years the water was good, with abundant sharks and other years much drier, and sharks were few. As the water became too shallow we see sharks stranded and ripe for the taking by big bull dimetrodons. One good shark will feed a dimetrodon for a few months. 

Chris 

Thanks for the response Chris.

Fascinating and a brutal but surviving in life is much that way-couple times I've felt like I've been in an Oxbow too.  Really appreciate the info. Continued collecting success!

Regards, Chris 

Wow, you're really finding a lot here! I'm so impressed, but in also jealous I'm not there with you at the same time, it seems like you're finding so many cool things...

Thanks for posting, and keep on finding more awesome ddon material!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived