Mosasaur Jaw Section

IonRocks

I am looking at purchasing a mosasaur jaw section, what do you guys think about this one? I don't know much about telling if these types of jaws are real, only good at the more obvious ones. But the yellowing between the teeth and their roots seems a little odd to me?  

mosasaur-jaw-section-with-teeth-1378-p.jpg

mosasaur-jaw-section-with-teeth-[3]-1378-p.jpg

mosasaur-jaw-section-with-teeth-[5]-1378-p.jpg

mosasaur-jaw-section-with-teeth-[4]-1378-p.jpg

Looks like three separate teeth to me. They're not even all curving in the same direction.  No bone connecting them.  I'd pass on this one.

the staining of the slightly darker orangey colour is common in that area of these fossils.

A decent sign it has not been infilled with "matrix-glue"

The teeth are obviously loose but the bone fragments I see do not suggest that this is from a single specimen.

The "jaw bone" sections show no cavities from the roots and may simply just be broken bits and pieces.

As with any fossil, price would determine if this was added to my collection.

Interesting.

This specimen looks genuine to me, given the bone pieces scattered in the matrix, and how the teeth and root looks finely embedded within. There are also hints of more connective bones deeper in the matrix. The yellowing looks natural too.

It looks more like parts of a thoroughly crushed jaw.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The yellow between the teeth crowns and roots are a clear indication that they are real. It's common on real teeth. And I've never ever seen it on fakes. Those are always too clean, white and lack structure. So the teeth and roots are completely real.

There seem to be two big bones present. While quite eroded there seem to be some indication that they are part of the jaw. All these bones look completely natural. There are also a number of fish bones present as one might expect from a typical Khouribga piece.

The matrix itself looks natural as well. Nice colour and structure variation. It's nice and lumpy instead of smoother like many fakes. With the countless inclusions like mosasaur and fish bones as well as nodules this looks completely real.

There is only one thing that gives me pause on this piece. The teeth are all facing it's own way. The front of the tooth on the left is facing left. The tooth in the middle is facing away from us into the matrix. And the tooth on the right is facing right. This is not a natural position. It might be possible that one or two teeth are placed into the matrix. The tooth morphology looks to be correct. But the tooth position does not.

Of course, it might just be that the teeth drifted a bit from their natural position. Which is not unheard of. Many jaws have teeth drifted from their natural position. In fact, if we suppose for the moment that this piece has not been tampered with it's pretty certain that the teeth have drifted. The jaw piece below the teeth shows an interesting part below the middle and right tooth. The top edge of the jaw is visible where a tooth would have sat. So all three teeth and their roots would have drifted completely out of the cavity in the jaw.

The genus looks like Prognathodon or Eremiasaurus due to the smooth teeth.

Good piece, go for it.

• I found this Informative 7

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Just to the left of the first tooth, there is a vert I think? But it is weird compared to most of the ones I see of shark or enchodus, what is it probably from?

it's a 100% real piece to me 

@ olof : would the different angle of the left crown/tooth be explained if it would be from the opposite jaw part? I think it might be the case .. 

best regards,

dries

1 hour ago, Fitch1979 said:

it's a 100% real piece to me 

@ olof : would the different angle of the left crown/tooth be explained if it would be from the opposite jaw part? I think it might be the case .. 

best regards,

dries

You mean one of the three teeth are from the opposite side? I mean it's possible. But aside from the rotation, they do seem to line up pretty nice.

Personally, I think it's real with no tampering. And that the teeth belong to one side of the jaw with just some weird drifting/rotation. It happens all the time, but it does look a little odd.

• 3 months later...

I bought this piece in the end (after waiting four months to make sure the OP didn't want it!) and I am fairly satisfied that it is a natural piece. At least, I can't see anything obviously wrong. I've done a little prep here and there (including undercutting a tooth slightly) and haven't found any evidence of glue or anything else to raise my suspicions. Other opinions are welcome :)

P2510234.jpg

P2510238.jpg

P2510240.jpg

Nice. And those new pictures look great. No clear evidence of tampering. The teeth likely just drifted out of their sockets and rotated before fossilizing.

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations on a lovely new fossil :)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!