2 Dino bones Kem kem

Fitch1979

Hey everyone .. during too busy X-mas days and NY plans ...fossils can't be too far away ;)

Would anyone have an ID of these two bones from the Tegana formation from morocco around Erfoud/Taouz, they would be Cenomanian in age...

thanks in advance!

d

id 002.jpg

id 003.jpg

id 004.jpg

id 005.jpg

id 006.jpg

I'm not sure about the first one. Though it appears both ends aren't fused so it might be a juvenile.

But the second one looks like a proximal partial femur of a Theropod.

For reference, and Abelisaur femur from Kem Kem.

https://peerj.com/articles/1754/

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Are there sauropods in the Kem Kem beds?  The first one looks like a sauropod metapodial.  the texture is pretty typical of sauropod leg/foot bones and is not a sign of juvenilitude.  I agree with femur on the second one, and it is hollow, but I don't know if it is hollow enough to be a theropod.  Possibly theropod, possibly ornithopod.  

• I found this Informative 2

@ olof - thanks a bunch for the article - bit hard to place the bone thoug

@jpc - yes there are sauropods (e.g. Rebbachiasaurus garasbae resembling Ryanosaurus (north america) very much) - what part of a leg/foot bone could it be? it does look rather short?

20 hours ago, jpc said:

Are there sauropods in the Kem Kem beds?

There are, but bones are pretty rare I think. Theropods vastly outnumber all other types of dinosaurs. Spinosaurids being the most common.

And as far as I know, Ornithopods have not been found yet. Or any other herbivores besides Sauropods for that matter.

20 hours ago, jpc said:

the texture is pretty typical of sauropod leg/foot bones and is not a sign of juvenilitude.

Ah, alright. Im not that familiar with Sauropod bones.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Let me first address the use of the name Tegana Formation to reflect material from the Kem Kem Beds.   Although used by some dealers, reference books and even some online databases it is not the current convention use by paleontologists on new research publications.  The current understanding is that the Kem Kem beds is comprised of three formations: Aoufous, Ifezouane and Akrabou.  The  Ifezouane being the main dinosaur layer although material is also found in the Aoufous upper layer. 

Fig-1-A-Geographical-and-stratigraphic-locations-of-the-three-track-localities.jpg

Your first bone like jpc indicated is from a sauropod it's a Metatarsal.   Putting species name on isolated material from the Kem Kem is very problematic since very little associated material has been found.   However if you compare it to remains found from a Rebbachisaurus in Argentina you can possibly see some association to "B" but it's not conclusive.

Screenshot_20161229-023353.jpg

In my opinion your femur is from a theropod and possibly a Spinosaurid.  I say that for two reasons:  first there is some degree of match between yours and the one pictured in Nizar Ibrahim latest paper (the trochanter at and ft are a match) but more important it's the point jpc mentioned the lack of a defined large medullary cavity which is typical of terrestrial theropods.  Ibrahim's paper studied that feature and found that Spinosaurus bones are more dense being semi-aquatic and femurs although present its not has defined.  see illustration which are femural cross section from different theropods.

5863b7b864ad3_id009.jpg.2df23da943dc46c1f0dfa0b49e96f3c1_20161229063833454.jpg

post-10955-0-35055600-1410473402.jpg

Screenshot_20161229-064016.jpg

• I found this Informative 5