Shark Tooth Dilemma

Prognathodon saturator 101

I recieved £70.00 for christmas and i then added that to the money i have earned which now gives me £99.15, which is enough to get this shark tooth I want, but it would mean the majority of my money gone. The shark tooth is of a Alopias grandis.

I'm not sure if i should save my money and buy some models,  since i collect them,  or get this Alopias grandis tooth.

I am fascinated by this shark! Its huge, and according to my research,  it was the second biggest shark to have ever lived , measuring in at a length of 13 meters and it was big enough to swallow a fully grown man whole!

So, ... to summarize, ... you are asking a fossil forum if you should purchase a fossil, ... or some models , ...correct???  :headscratch::P 

I wonder what would happen if you asked this question on a scale modeling forum? ;)  You can see where some prejudices might make their way into the answers.

What this question boils down to is - which of these items will give you the most pleasure/satisfaction? 

That is something you alone can answer. :) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

10 minutes ago, Prognathodon saturator 101 said:

i recieved £70.00 for christmas and i then added that to the money i have earned which now gives me £99.15 which is enough to get this shark tooth i want but it would mean the majority of my money gone the shark tooth is of a alopias grandis im not sure if i should save my money and buy some models since i collect them or get this alopias grandis tooth i am fasinated by this shark its huge and according to my research it is the second biggest shark to have ever lived at a length of 13 meters and its big enougth to swallow a fully grown man whole

In 20 years the tooth will still have value, the model will not.

Just a thought.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

fossildude19 yeah i can see your point but im not part of any model forum yet but still good point but which one should i get i mean i would kill to have a alopias grandis tooth but at the same time i dont want to go spending almost all my money in one go i have found cheaper ones so i might go for them but they all come from the states i am thinking of getting the safari ltd thresher shark model though

54 minutes ago, Prognathodon saturator 101 said:

I recieved £70.00 for christmas and i then added that to the money i have earned which now gives me £99.15, which is enough to get this shark tooth I want, but it would mean the majority of my money gone. The shark tooth is of a Alopias grandis.

I'm not sure if i should save my money and buy some models,  since i collect them,  or get this Alopias grandis tooth.

I am fascinated by this shark! Its huge, and according to my research,  it was the second biggest shark to have ever lived , measuring in at a length of 13 meters and it was big enough to swallow a fully grown man whole!

If you were to find out that Alopias grandis is not the second largest shark to have ever lived, would you still want the tooth as badly as you do now?

There's no pic, so I can't see the tooth you're looking at, but Alopias grandis teeth can be had for a lot less than what you have. Are you sure that what you're looking at isn't instead a mislabelled Parotodus benedeni???

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

northen sharks when i first found the tooth for sale i checked to see if it was a alopias grandis and it is

the reason why the tooth is quite expensive is because its fully complete and is very good quality the seller puts it as superior quality

Post a picture of the tooth here. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Prognathodon saturator 101 said:

Ok, here is my opinion. I love my fossils very much, but after you purchase and admire it, it will be placed on a shelf to admire later. Now when I was in my 20's I use to purchase jet fighter models from a Tamiya (sp?), a Japanese manufacturer. These were outstanding models and I would "scratch" build many pieces and purchase special decal sheets to make it more realistic. These models would take me over 3 months to finish. With that said, purchase the model- it will give you daily enjoyment building the model.

im also thinking of getting a ginsu/cretoxyrhina tooth instead it is my favorite shark after all

s-l1600ginsu2.jpg

s-l1600ginsu.jpg

The tooth you're interested in is certainly an A. grandis, and a nice one at that, but it isn't huge. I would do a lot more looking around and even wait. I have 2 or 3 nice ones I bought a few years ago now and I didn't pay more than about $40US for any of them. They are uncommon but not super rare and a more affordable example should show up before long. As for the Cretoxyrhina, I would avoid the one you have pictured unless you get it for only a couple $$$. The root is obviously damaged and the blade has been split and reattached. These don't seem to come up nearly as often as they should, but I would definately wait for a better one.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I agree with Northern Sharks. The first tooth is nice but You should be able to find a less expensive example. the other is in to bad of a condition and I would not buy it.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

yeah ill look for cheaper alopias grandis teeth i may end up not getting any of them and end up buying some models or just saving up

found something i like better than sharks a very very large fossil pleistocene alligator tooth

Archived