Fossil Location: "Formação dos Olhos de Ãgua"

Max-fossils

Hi everyone!

I am currently enjoying some very pleasant holidays in the Vale do Lobo, near Faro in Portugal.B) My family and I were wondering what some good fossil locations nearby were; Filipe ( @Vieira ), has recommended the beach between Albufeira and Lagos, called the "Formação dos Olhos de Ãgua". Unfortunately he has never gone there before, and therefore did not know everything about the location. What he knew about the location was this: the finds are from the Miocene period and include: shark teeth, marine mammal bones and sea urchins. So does anyone know more information about the site, like what spots are the best, what are the better techniques (e.g.: sieving, looking near the water or more in the dunes/cliffs, etc) and also what you found. So if any of you have ever gone there, please give me any info/tips you have. And pictures would be great too!

Also, if you know any other cool locations nearby, please tell me!

Best regards and nice holidays to all of you,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Note to self for the future - do your research ahead of your trip,  to make the time there as productive as possible. ;) 

Best of luck to you. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Note to self for the future - do your research ahead of your trip,  to make the time there as productive as possible. ;) 

Best of luck to you. 

Regards,

Haha, you're correct indeed... But we were very late booking the holidays and didn't have much time planning anything. It was really a last-minute booking, I must say. And we haven't had much time to think about activities yet... 

But thanks anyways,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

6 hours ago, NSRhunter said:

Yes, this helps quite a bit. Thanks a lot!

Max Derème

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Yes, this helps quite a bit. Thanks a lot!

Glad to help :) Good luck and post a trip report after you hunt there!

4 hours ago, NSRhunter said:

Glad to help :) Good luck and post a trip report after you hunt there!

Of course I will!;)

Max Derème

Archived