Sure Looks Like Something To Me

wetwilly

Hi,

Found this in the Brook recently when the weather was cooperating.  Saved it thinking it had characteristics of an ammonite fragment, but I'm not sure.  Any suggestions?

(Cretaceous of New Jersey - several views of same item).

Thanks.

Fossils 001.JPG

Fossils 002.JPG

Fossils 003.JPG

Fossils 004.JPG

Fossils 005.JPG

Fossils 006.JPG

Fossils 007.JPG

Bill

Yes, you're right. It's a piece of an ammonite. The 2nd to the last picture clearly shows a septa from an outter whorl at the bottom and the dimple to the right of the cavity is the siphuncle for an inner whorl. The cavity is a portion of an inner whorl that didn't get filled in and the "walls" in the cavity are septa.

• I found this Informative 2

Ammonite! 

Nice find. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks to all for your reply's.

However, I am unclear if the additional pictures of my previous ammonite finds from the Brooks are casts/molds - combination or not.

My original pictures in this post show details which if I am getting this right, are the actual parts indicating the ammonite itself?

Fossils 003(1).JPG

Bill

44 minutes ago, wetwilly said:

My original pictures in this post show details which if I am getting this right, are the actual parts indicating the ammonite itself?

It has the appearance of preserved septa but I'm thinking it is more likely mineral deposits that formed on the septa and then the septa dissolved with the rest of the ammonite shell. The space between the septa on the inner whorl never filled with sediment so it remained hollow instead of preserved casts.