Where to purchase Cretaceous amber

britishcanuk

I do not have any particular names to give as I've not bought Cretaceous amber in years, but you can start by looking for burmite, or Burmese amber which comes from Kachin State in Burma. They are the most readily available and reasonably priced Cretaceous amber with good inclusions.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Message sent.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I wonder what the odds are of finding an insect inclusion in a bulk lot of raw New Jersey amber such as the one pictured below that is currently on the auction site. Seller claims the lot has not been examined.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

IMG_1356.JPG

It has been my experience (limited), that such a lot yields a lot of deteriorated plant inclusions. Insects are of course found, but I have not found any. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I bought one of the lots. When it comes in I'll examine it under the microscope and report back. I figure that even if there's nothing discernible in it, they are still fossils worth having.

thanks for your input.

I think its only Burmese and New Jersey amber you can really get from the cretaceous era commercially. If you're looking to extract some dinosaur DNA then Dinofossils in the UK sell some pieces with insect inclusions. Just for raw amber though there's British samples from Sussex on the auction website.

• 2 weeks later...

The amber arrived. I spent some time last night examine each piece under the microscope, pretty slim pickings as far as inclusions go but I did have one piece with a couple of almost microscopic sized gnats and one with what looks like a grass seed. The rest were mostly clear, or with a scattering of unidentifiable debris. I was surprised and thrilled to find the flies!

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Excellent photos.  Congrats.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 1/11/2017 at 7:06 AM, britishcanuk said:

The amber arrived. I spent some time last night examine each piece under the microscope, pretty slim pickings as far as inclusions go but I did have one piece with a couple of almost microscopic sized gnats and one with what looks like a grass seed. The rest were mostly clear, or with a scattering of unidentifiable debris. I was surprised and thrilled to find the flies!

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

How much did that jar cost you? 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

11 minutes ago, britishcanuk said:

20 USD + 8 USD shipping

Not bad:dinothumb:. I am definitely going to look into amber now. Thanks!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I think he offers free shipping within the US, but I'm in Canada so cost was a bit more 

also, it came in a ziplock bag, the jar was mine. This was the entire lot though.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a big lot from who I guess is the same guy. I was wondering, britishcanuck, what kind of microscope did you use to examine the pieces?

It's just a 20-40x dissecting binocular microscope. For better clarity, make sure the amber is sitting in water, and I find that backlighting is the best way to examine it.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-02-27 at 8:38 PM, SpringGroveUK said:

Much appreciated. I can't wait to see if I got anything cool.

Did you get the amber? Anything in it?

21 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

Did you get the amber? Anything in it?

I got it. Unfortunately, I found nothing of interest in any of the pieces. Strike out. :(

4 hours ago, SpringGroveUK said:

I got it. Unfortunately, I found nothing of interest in any of the pieces. Strike out. :(

Sorry to hear that! I have seen some great deals on Bermese amber (aka burmite) with excellent fossil inclusions in them fornas little as $15 a piece. It is also Cretaceous aged. Check out the auction site.

19 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

Sorry to hear that! I have seen some great deals on Bermese amber (aka burmite) with excellent fossil inclusions in them fornas little as $15 a piece. It is also Cretaceous aged. Check out the auction site.

There's a lot of interesting stuff on there. I wish I knew what dealers to trust, though. These things are so easily faked.

6 minutes ago, SpringGroveUK said:

There's a lot of interesting stuff on there. I wish I knew what dealers to trust, though. These things are so easily faked.

Hopefully, some members will send you a PM with their suggestions.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived