Jakuzi

@Buffalo Bill Codyand I headed out to the North Sulphur River yesterday on a long muddy trip.  We headed west from the 2675 bridge about 2 miles including a 20 minute hike along an expanse of river to get to what we hoped would be relitivly untouched gravel.  That area of gravel proved to be the least productive of the entire trip.  Luckily the gravel within a mile or so of the bridge proved more fruitful.  We also had a wild boar siting to keep things exciting.   

IMG_4663.JPG

I'm curious if anyone can ID the pieces in the top 2 rows.  Also I'm very interested in an ID of the bone above the quarter. I'll post some close ups shortly.   Are the strait pieces in third row tooth enamel?  If anyone would like close ups of anything let me know.

Do you drive a black Jeep ?, if so, I am the one that left the note, thought you were someone else. Nice finds especially the toe bone, Pliostecene material in the Sulphur is hard to come by. Don't know what the objects are at top of photo, maybe just pseudo fossils the river produces some strange stuff. I don't know about you but the Paleo Putty (mud) just about did me in, the best thing about my hunt was getting back to the car Lol

• I found this Informative 2

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

1 hour ago, Foshunter said:

Don't know what the objects are at top of photo, maybe just pseudo fossils the river produces some strange stuff.

Hello Jakuzi,

I agree with Foshunter that the specimens in the top two rows are probably pieces of concretions, but some of them may be fragments from rudist bivalve shells. I can’t tell for sure. For rudists the inside curved surface will be relatively smooth compared to your run of the mill concretion. Yes, the specimens in the third row are mammal tooth enamel; leftmost is mammoth, the others look like horse or bison.  Keep up the good work!

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Foshunter said:

Do you drive a black Jeep ?, if so, I am the one that left the note, thought you were someone else. Nice finds especially the toe bone, Pliostecene material in the Sulphur is hard to come by. Don't know what the objects are at top of photo, maybe just pseudo fossils the river produces some strange stuff. I don't know about you but the Paleo Putty (mud) just about did me in, the best thing about my hunt was getting back to the car Lol

That was @Buffalo Bill Cody Jeep.  I passed the note along to Jerrod.  We also had plans to meet with him as well.   We'd like to meet up with someone more experienced for a hunt sometime and maybe get some tips/hints.

Yeah the mud was rough going for sure.   We managed to make a day of it but I was beat down by the end.

The possible concretions were something I was finding a lot of and definitely appeared to be more than just rock so I began saving them. Cody fond a few that weren't broken in half and formed a sort of tube or bead.  He should be posting the rest of his finds any day now.

Any idea what that toe bone might be from?

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, FossilGuy1024 said:

Hello Jakuzi,

I agree with Foshunter that the specimens in the top two rows are probably pieces of concretions, but some of them may be fragments from rudist bivalve shells. I can’t tell for sure. For rudists the inside curved surface will be relatively smooth compared to your run of the mill concretion. Yes, the specimens in the third row are mammal tooth enamel; leftmost is mammoth, the others look like horse or bison.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the info.  Still trying to learn what's a keeper and what's just an interesting shaped rock.

Without holding it, looks like a deer proximal phalanx, have found a couple of those back in the day. It is Pliostecene in age, not modern.  Good hunting maybe will run into you sometime. I am just now getting over a knee replacement, had to see if it will still works OK. Found out that idle time not doing a great deal of walking took a toll on distance plus the mud didn't help.---------Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"