Lots of leg,,, no claws!!!

RJB

I didn't want to drag this on, so I finished this up first before I posted it.   I traded for this concretion last summer and actually had it traded again to another fellow.   Once I realized it had some major problems I decided to go ahead and prep it out and not trade it. The worst kind of trade is when one or both party's are not happy.   When I first took a look at this crab I figured it was a perty good crab.  Then I sliced off some rock with my water saw and took another look at it and realized it had some rather bad placement for the claws and also would take a ton of glue to get it back together.  The legs has some bad preservation and the arms too, but that's mother nature.  One of the good things is that it has 5 tippy tips!  Just no claws!  This crab was a very tuff crab to prep and took about 40 hours to finish it up!  It does have some slight disarticulation and is missing a couple of pieces too.  In these first two pictures I was worried and wondering if it had any leg on the right side.  I knew it had lots of leg on the left side only cause I had to glue back on a big piece of rock that also had some leg in it.   

012A.JPG

012B.JPG

Ok, in this picture you can see how im starting to 'smooth' out the rock and also, those dark spots is where ive built some rock so that it looks good all the way around.  A rather large concretion and it took me quite a few hours to get this 'smoothing' out done!  But that's what it takes to make the crab look as good as can be.   

012C.JPG

Once I got the rock smoothed out the best that I could I also found some more leg.  Always a nice thing.  I then finished up with some detailed ARO work and a very small bit of acrylic work.  I had to go perty deep on the left side to get that one leg that goes underneath another  and it worked out purty good giving me another tippy tip.  Always love those tippy tips!!!   Really sucks that the claws are going underneath the crab, but all in all, this turned out to be a Purdy darn good crab.  Just took waaaaaay too long.  Mother nature strikes again!  Ha!!!  :)

RB

012D.JPG

Archived