Smithsonian Exhibit: Last American Dinosaurs

abctriplets

So while we are upset that the main fossil area (the National Fossil Hall) of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History is closed for a multi-year renovation until 2019 (though I'll admit that it did need it...I remembered a lot of the exhibits from my childhood), we were thrilled that there's a new temporary exhibit titled "The Last American Dinosaurs: Discovering a Lost World," which focused on the Hell Creek Formation - where my family will be doing a few dino digs this summer!

https://naturalhistory.si.edu/fossil-hall/last-american-dinosaurs/

IMG_4233.JPG

This exhibit featured fossils from the museum's 2013 expedition.

IMG_4227 (1).JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

They also had the requisite paleonotologist-on-display:

IMG_4224.JPGIMG_4228.JPG

The exhibit gave a nice overview about what fossils are, and what dinosaurs were living in the region. One of the two centerpieces was the giant Triceratops at the entrance to the exhibit.

IMG_4193 (1).JPGIMG_4196 (1).JPG

IMG_4195 (2).JPGIMG_4194 (1).JPGIMG_4230.JPGIMG_4231.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

The other centerpiece was the giant T. rex skeleton. The original/large T. rex at the Smithsonian is still being prepared for placing back into the main exhibit once it opens, but this was still impressive.

IMG_4198.JPGIMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4200.JPGIMG_4201.JPG

And there were some other displays:

IMG_4197.JPG

This display was accompanied by a cool short video showing the unique jaw movement/chewing pattern of the Edmontosaurus.

IMG_4202.JPGIMG_4208.JPGIMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

As for digital/interactive displays, there was a brief video about the ecosystem of the Hell Creek Formation, and a little 8-bit game about choosing to be an invertebrate or vertebrate, and seeing if you became a fossil.

IMG_4226.JPG

All-in-all we were quite pleased with the exhibit, and it definitely made us excited to explore the Hell Creek Formation on our own!

Phenomenal report. This is right down the street from me, and yes it is a very impressive display. Nice photos @abctriplets

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Awesome report! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see the new exhibit with the Wankel T.rex in 2019! :)  

Archived