Air scribe stops working after 10 minutes

Cluros

Hi. I have a Aero tool air scribe that works for 10 minutes and then stops. I have a water trap in the air line as well as a filter on the air feed line and the tool air line. It worked great for a year. I've replaced the stylus spring and the two o-rings with no success. If I take it apart and wipe all the parts down it runs for another 10 minutes. I put one drop of oil in the tool before use as recommended. Any thoughts anyone?

This is a common problem with Aros and to a lesser extent CP scribes. It's affectionately known as a "stall". The air valve inside the unit begins to stick after a while. The easiest way to get it going is to give the housing a tap on your bench. This will usually get it going.

Yes, the stalling can be common, and tapping the side of the housing (not the tip) on the table etc usually helps. But what do you do when it keeps stalling and tapping doesn't fix it?

I had an issue with a scribe that kept stopping so upped the air pressure and it fixed it for me.

Im totally new to air scribes though and haven't used it much. So take what I say with caution :P

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Jeez.  mine used to do this years ago, and I can't remember how I fixed it.  Might be time to take the whole thing apart and wash all parts in rubbing alcohol.  Including taking the tool off the base,i.e. separate it near where the on/off switch is.  That takes some effort.    

The scribe doesn't get warm while using it and I've never dropped it or been hard on it. I don't like the idea of banging it to get it working again. It seemed to work for hours on end and then abruptly jumped to this 10 minute cycle. I've thoroughly cleaned it, tried replacing all moving parts inside and raised the air pressure a little. Nothing has helped. I guess I should call Paleotools and see if they have any thoughts. Thank you for all of the input. If I get a solution I will post it.

My experience is same as Ash's.  What pressure are you using?  My Paleotools ME-9100 runs fine at 100 PSI, but the ARO stalls frequently at that pressure.  The ARO runs much more reliably in the 125 PSI + range.  

I had to modify my regulator to accomplish this (either by installing a stiffer spring, or stacking washers under the OEM spring, in order to get more force out of it), and I don't necessarily recommend taking your compressor above its rated pressure as doing so puts more stress on the tank, seals, etc.  Although the tool can take it, and I would like to think the compressor system was designed with a factor of safety to accommodate 125-150 PSI, I would guess that the compressor manual would advise against it, for liability reasons, if not rated and sold at the higher pressure.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Try putting the oil in at the start of the hose, and I myself would add about 4 to 6 drops with each 8 hours of use.   This way the oil has to work its way to the tool and once there just keeps itself oiled until you do it again in about 8 hours.  Hope this helps

RB

Mine got to the point that it was stalling every couple minutes. I tried cleaning and lubing everything and that didn't solve the problem. So... I opened up my RB's Big Book of Swear Words :P and looked up a few choice ones. Then, I dropped about 100 drops of machine oil in the hose, hung it stylus down over a bucket like a field dressed hog, and opened the valve. A week later, the oil had all dripped out and 10 minutes of compressed air running through the tool and there was nothing spraying out.

Problem solved. No more stalling and I am back to the routine 6 drops of oil in the hose for every 8 hours of work.

Archived